Government officials yesterday failed to give a clear account of who was behind the release of a story by the state-owned Central News Agency (CNA), which said early yesterday morning that the Central Weather Bureau (CWB) was sorry for causing Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄) to misunderstand its weather forecast.
The story, released at 12:31am yesterday, reported that the CWB offered an apology to Liu for causing him to misspeak, after its false briefing that Fung-wong, then classified as a tropical storm, was a typhoon.
Liu made the verbal error on Saturday afternoon after being briefed by weather forecast center director Daniel Wu (吳德榮) at 2pm and said afterwards when asked to comment on his slip that the CWB should provide weather information in lay terms.
When interviewed by cable TV about Liu’s mistake, Wu said that Liu had “misheard” him as he had said that the tropical storm was strengthening and was on the threshold of becoming a typhoon.
The CWB classified Fung-wong as a typhoon at 8:30pm on Saturday night.
The source of the apology was unclear as it was more than 35 hours after Liu had misspoken and the story was apparently from the Government Information Office (GIO) and not the CWB.
Even though the apology was written in the name of the CWB, it was sent out by the GIO through a CNA reporter who covers the Executive Yuan beat, triggering speculation that the GIO had offered the apology to Liu on the CWB’s behalf without the bureau’s knowledge.
GIO Minister Vanessa Shih (史亞平) said yesterday that the GIO released the statement at the request of Minister of Transportation and Communications Mao Chi-kuo (毛治國), whose ministry supervises the CWB, and she assumed that Mao had informed the CWB of the move in advance.
Shih said that Mao had asked CWB personnel stationed in the typhoon disaster prevention center to handle the statement and had GIO personnel who were also on duty in the center to send it out.
She said that the GIO didn’t assume the identity of another agency to issue a press release.
CWB Director-General Hsin Chiang-lin (辛江霖), however, gave a different account when asked by reporters at a press conference.
Cable TV station TVBS reported that Hsin said he had told Mao that the CWB needed to offer an apology to Liu, but he didn’t see a copy of the statement before it was released.
Hsin and his deputy Lin Hsiu-wen (林秀雯) were both unable to say who wrote the statement when asked by reporters.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not