Rain failed to dampen the enthusiasm of the ebullient crowd that gathered in front of the campaign headquarters of Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) candidate Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) last night. Ma's supporters went wild as the election results trickled in and it became increasingly clear that their candidate was not just going to win, but would land a resounding victory.
Vendors selling election paraphernalia such as plastic dolls of Ma and airhorns did a roaring trade while dodging police along Taipei's Zhonghua Road, where the headquarters of the Ma campaign is located.
It was hard to mistake 49-year-old Hsu Hsih-min (
By 5pm Ma was already leading by half a million votes.
The excited crowd, sensing that Ma was going to beat expectations by a large margin, started chanting "2 million, 2 million" at 5:30pm.
When Ma's lead increased to more than 2 million votes, the blast of noise issued collectively by the crowd, mostly from airhorns, was deafening.
The crowd soon filled the fenced-off section in front of the campaign headquarters where a parade of KMT politicians pumped up the crowd from a stage.
People overflowed out along Zhonghua Road and filled up the traffic islands at the intersection with Aiguo West Road.
Even Ma's die-hard supporters were surprised by the magnitude of the victory.
"I bleed blue," said Cheng Chang-jiang (程長江), a 43-year-old Taipei resident who was not only sporting Ma paraphernalia from head to toe but also held a large homemade sign to show his support.
Cheng didn't just think Ma would win, he put money on it.
"I made a NT$10,000 bet with my friend that Ma would win by at least 800,000 votes," Cheng said. "But I had no idea that he would win by this much."
"I wish I had made more bets," Cheng said, grinning from ear to ear.
While most voters who turned up at Ma's headquarters last night were Taipei City and Taipei County residents, Lee Wea-hua (
"Voting is my patriotic duty," said Lee, who returns to Taiwan with his wife for every presidential election.
"We love our country and we always vote blue," Lee said.
Most members of the crowd were long-time KMT supporters like Lee and Cheng.
However, 53-year-old Chen Mei-tien said that she voted for the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) in 2000.
"I voted for the DPP with high hopes back in 2000," Chen said. "But they didn't deliver and the time has come for power to change hands again. That's democracy."
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not