Shih Ming-teh (施明德) yesterday sued President Chen Shui-bian (
He said the DPP had insulted people who took part in his 2006 campaign demanding that Chen step down in recent TV advertisements and through comments by Chen.
When approached for comment, Shih said Chen had "insulted" the "one million" participants of the campaign by calling it "the Red-Shirted Riot (紅衫軍之亂)" in order to boost the DPP's electoral prospects.
Shih said he had filed the suit against Chen now instead of waiting until the end of his presidential term because he was upset at the DPP's recent TV advertisements, in which the term "Red-Shirted Riot" was used to describe the campaign.
Shih said that the lawsuit did not target "President Chen," but "Chairman Chen" of the DPP.
"The anti-Chen campaign was not only a historical movement in Taiwan but also a civil movement on an international level," Shih told reporters at the Taipei District Court.
The campaign's deputy director Lee Hsin (李新), who was also present, said Chen's comments and the TV advertisements constituted public insults against the campaign as the word "riot" is defined by the Ministry of Education's on-line dictionary as a rebellion.
"As initiators of the anti-corruption and anti-Chen campaign, we hereby file a lawsuit against [the DPP] for its unlawful comments that twisted history and directly insulted the one million citizens who took part in the campaign," Lee said.
Shih said any compensation amount from Chen would be decided in accordance with the number of people who made a NT$100 donation to the campaign in 2006.
In response to the lawsuit, DPP caucus whip Wang Tuoh (
He said the same matter could be interpreted in different ways in a pluralistic society and that Chen used "chaos" to describe the activity that Shih was organizing, which should be allowed within the realm of freedom of speech.
Additional reporting by Rich Chang
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a