Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (
Hau gave assurances after presiding over a city administrative meeting. He said the lightning, triggered by a thunderstorm, destroyed two control circuit boards, leading to a breakdown of the tourism-oriented skyrail system, which only began operation six days ago.
The transportation system, which connects the Taipei City Zoo and Muzha's Maokong tea-growing district tourist attractions, broke down at 1:45pm and did not resume operations until 7pm, according to the gondola's operator, Taipei Rapid Transit Corp (TRTC).
PHOTO: CNA
It took TRTC engineers more than five hours to repair the system.
The gondola for the first time activated its "rescue mode" soon after it was struck by lightning and transported passengers to a nearby station using back-up power. As a result, no passengers were trapped during the incident, TRTC officials said.
Deputy Mayor Lin Chung-yi (林崇一) said that the cable car system stops running as soon as it detects lighting. Moreover, he said, the system is equipped with a lightning prediction device, which is able to detect lightning 5km from the system.
Lin also explained that while the system's lightning conductor is designed to guide electricity from lightning to the ground, the lightning strike was too strong and burned out the circuit boards as it passed through the cable car's electronic systems.
The skyrail's builder, the French company POMA, has been informed of the failure and asked to improve the lightning avoidance system to reduce the risk of future mechanical failures, Lin added.
As for complaints by visitors about illegal street vendors and excessively high food and beverage prices, Lin said a task force of officials responsible for health, environmental protection and law enforcement affairs has been organized to crack down on the unfairness and offenses.
The law will be strictly enforced to ensure fair markets and environmental protection in tourist locations, Lin said.
Also see story:
Managing a project is as crucial as building
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a