The military has concluded a series of simulated cyber warfare maneuvers in which the various branches of the armed forces conducted mock counterattacks on China's coastal military targets following a surprise attack by China, military sources said yesterday.
The round-the-clock five-day computerized warfare simulation, which ended on Friday, was part of the annual "Han Kuang" series of combined services military exercises aimed at honing combat strategies and battlefield management tactics, the sources said.
This year's cyber wargames also marked the first time the armed forces practiced counterattack strategies and skills in simulated warfare drills, the sources said, adding that in the mock counterattacks, Taiwanese troops struck coastal Chinese military targets and booming cities with such weapons as cruise missiles and short-range ballistic missiles.
The military's Joint Operations Command Center, the Joint Operations Training Center and tactical command offices at various strategic military units took part in the computerized maneuvers, the sources said, adding that a US delegation, headed by former Pacific Command commander-in-chief Admiral Dennis Blair, was on hand to observe the process.
The Ministry of National Defense is scheduled to brief the press on the details of the "Han Kuang 23" maneuvers at its routine news conference on Tuesday, the sources said.
Sources also said that the wargame scenario was set in 2012 at a time when China, frustrated by Taiwan's long-term resistance to unification talks, decides to take advantage of Taiwan's procrastination in military arsenal upgrades to accelerate its push for unification by launching an all-out surprise attack on Taiwan proper and its outlying island of Penghu.
In the first three days of the simulated Chinese invasion, Taiwan incurred severe human and material losses from China's saturation ballistic missile assault as well as naval and aerial bombardment.
Afterwards, Taiwan's armed forces managed to stage counterattacks on China's coastal military targets and major cities, causing heavy human casualties and major destruction.
In the scenario, the military strikes had a heavy toll on the economic wellbeing of both sides of the Taiwan Strait and adversely impacted the global economy, causing worldwide panic. In the end, the US and other Western countries mediated a ceasefire.
In a departure from media speculation, however, the wargames did not cover the use of nuclear weapons or Taiwanese attacks on Chinese aircraft carrier battle groups, the sources said.
Meanwhile, the US observation group paid special attention to Taiwanese military personnel's "combat spirit" to determine if morale had been affected by the political infighting that followed the transition of power in 2000.
In weighing the military's "combat spirit," the sources said, the US delegation wanted to determine whether Taiwan would likely lean toward China and whether any advanced US-built weapons systems or sophisticated defense plans would end up in Beijing's hands.
Following the completion of the maneuvers, the military would in initiate a five-day psychological warfare training program aimed at enhancing service members' combat morale, battlefield adaptability and stress management.
The "Han Kuang" series is the largest combined services military exercise in Taiwan. In addition to the computer wargames, it covers live-fire military maneuvers, which will be held later this year.
PILLAGING PENGHU: A 7,539-tonne Chinese ship found mining sand in the Formosa Banks area was escorted by several CGA ships to a Kaohsiung harbor The Coast Guard Administration (CGA) yesterday announced that it had dispatched ships to intercept Chinese dredging vessels operating in the nation’s territorial waters near Penghu and detained 10 crew members, who were transported to Kaohsiung. A coast guard patrol discovered more than 20 dredging vessels in an area known as the Formosa Banks, 46 nautical miles (85km) southwest of Penghu County’s Cimei islet (七美) at about 5am on Wednesday. The agency responded by dispatching two patrol boats, the 3,000-tonne Kaohsiung and the 500-tonne Penghu, along with two frigates, to intercept the Chinese vessels, while an airborne observation unit was used to monitor
‘HONEYMOON’ IS OVER: A political science professor said that the Tsai administration’s popularity peaked after it successfully contained COVID-19, but is waning President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) and Premier Su Tseng-chang’s (蘇貞昌) approval ratings fell significantly this month in the wake of the government’s handling of the distribution of relief funds and stimulus coupons to people and businesses affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, a poll released yesterday by the New Power Party (NPP) showed. The poll showed that 68 percent of respondents said they were satisfied with Tsai’s performance, down 8.9 percentage points from last month, while 21 percent said they disapproved of her performance. Her approval among respondents aged 20 to 29 fell 14.7 percentage points, the largest decrease when compared with other age
CAUTION: The CECC would first observe how the nation fares after easing domestic restrictions and wait for the pandemic to further subside before making its next move The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday said that relaxing domestic restrictions and border controls simultaneously might complicate efforts to reopen the nation, amid discussions about Taiwan’s exclusion by other countries in their first lists of tourists. The center hopes for there to be a period of observation following the easing of domestic restrictions, before it decides what to do next, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, told a daily news briefing in Taipei. Chen was responding to a question about the reasoning behind the central government’s decision not to allow foreign students into the
Taiwan respects other countries’ decisions not to include it in their first lists of tourists allowed entry when they reopen their borders, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. The Yomiuri Shimbun on Sunday reported that the Japanese government was considering reopening the country to tourists from Thailand, Vietnam, Australia and New Zealand first. Greece on Friday announced that from June 15, it would allow visitors from 29 countries, including Australia, China, the Czech Republic, Japan, Israel, New Zealand, South Korea and Germany. Japan has not yet finalized its visitor list, but the ministry has conveyed its hope that Tokyo would