A 12-year-old girl dialing a wrong telephone number sent Taiwanese security officials scrambling after the ambassador from Swaziland was threatened with death, officials said yesterday.
Officers in the Shihlin District of the Taipei City Police Department yesterday established after investigations that the matter was the result of a misunderstanding.
It turned out that a 12-year-old ethnic Chinese South African girl intended to make a phone call to a friend to request her to return her iPod, but she accidentally dialled the number incorrectly.
Unaware of this, the girl used abusive language while speaking with what turned out to be the Swazi ambassador.
Ambassador Njabuliso Gwebu told police she was warned that "you will die" in the late-night call to her official residence on Aug. 3, an official at the Swaziland Embassy said.
After checking phone records, police traced the owner of the phone, an ethnic Chinese South African businessman. It turned out that his 12-year-old daughter had been using the phone regularly and made the threatening call that night.
Relaying Gwebu's gratitude to the police for their efforts, the embassy yesterday said Gwebu, being a mother herself, understands that it is unavoidable for a child to make mistakes and she would not insist on pressing charges, as she believed the child did not intend to cause her any harm.
According to legal experts, threatening an ambassador is a violation of the criminal code and any resulting jail term can be increased by one third if the matter is considered damaging to diplomatic ties with another nation. Judging by the nature of the case, it would not be necessary to charge and convict the 12-year-old girl, embassy officials said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not