The campaign headquarters of Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) chairman hopeful, Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (
With only one week remaining until the election, the Wang camp yesterday announced its plans to hold a rally on Ketagalan Boulevard on the night of July 15 for all of Wang's supporters as well as participants in last year's pan-blue mass protests against the results of the presidential election.
Procedures
The Wang camp has already followed the necessary procedures to request the use of Ketagalan Boulevard for the rally, Wang's campaign headquarters spokesman Hou Han-chun (
"The main purpose of the rally is to gather all those that are concerned about the KMT chairmanship election, the future of the pan-blue camp, and those that support Wang. We also want to let the participants in last year's March 27 protests gather together again," Hou said.
Indirectly challenging Ma, Hou said yesterday that while the Wang camp will respect the city government's decision, he does not think there should be any reason why the rally should not be permitted, given the significance of Ketagalan Boulevard for pan-blue supporters.
Hundreds of thousands of disappointed pan-blue supporters flooded the streets in front of the Presidential Office last year in the days following the March 20 presidential election to protest the ballot's results.
In what has become a point of contention that the Wang camp has utilized in its campaigning, Ma has been criticized for not taking a more active role in the protests last year.
The prospects for the proposed rally seemed dim yesterday, with Ma saying that the city government had not received the necessary forms in time for the rally to be held.
Late submission
According to the timetable for holding an assembly or rally, the city government said yesterday that an application for an assembly must be submitted at least 10 days before the event's proposed date.
Given that the Wang camp had only sent in its application forms on July 8 for the July 15 rally, it is unlikely that the rally will be allowed.
"The right to assembly is a right protected in the Constitution. All [applications] that are in accordance with the rules will be approved. [I] am definitely not causing difficulties [for Wang]," Ma said yesterday.
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has