Investigators released more pictures yesterday of potential witnesses to the shooting of President Chen Shui-bian (
Officials urged those in the photos -- a man carrying a little girl on his shoulders and two people with their backs to the camera -- to report to police.
The little girl in the first photo was waving a green flag and there was a woman using a mobile phone in the background.
The second picture shows a person -- wearing a white cap and a dark T-shirt with two orange stripes -- walking away from the camera.
Investigators have yet to identify any suspects, but have been trying to interview people who lined the streets of Tainan City to greet Chen's campaign motorcade.
Officials said they wanted to know whether those featured in the picture saw anything suspicious at the scene.
Two young women appeared at the Tainan City Prosecutors' Office on Thursday after investigators showed their photos on TV.
The women were questioned but officials did not reveal any details of the questioning. The women were not detained.
Tainan Chief Prosecutor Kuo Chen-ni (
Three US forensics experts visited the shooting scene of the shooting earlier this week.
They also examined and verified Chen's stomach wound, countering conspiracy theories that the shooting had been faked or engineered by the president or his supporters.
The team was sent by renowned Taiwanese-American forensics expert Henry Lee (李昌鈺) at the
request of the government.
Lee is expected to submit a report, using the team's information, to authorities when he visits Taipei later this month.
In an interview with a local cable news station, Lee said he doubted conspiracy theories that Chen staged the shooting.
However, Lee said that he doubted the shooting was really an assassination attempt, "because an assassin would have aimed at the chest, heart or used a more powerful gun."
Investigators have said the shooter used a home-made handgun.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not