The Cabinet said yesterday that President Chen Shui-bian's (
Pan-blue supporters have been venting their frustration out on the streets of Taipei since the Lien-Soong ticket lost the election on March 20.
A claimed 468,000 pan-blue supporters took to the streets two days ago, demanding a meeting between the leaders of the two camps, an immediate and complete recount of the ballots and an investigation into the assassination attempt and the initiation of the emergency security measures.
With the crowds in front of the Presidential Office dispersed, Chen said he would go along with the blue camp's proposals and promised to cooperate with the judiciary on the recount.
Cabinet spokesman Lin Chia-lung (
"They have clamored to hold a massive rally to counter the pan-blue rally. But it is not a good thing for the pan-blue supporters and the pan-green supporters to provoke each other, so President Chen's talk last evening was also intended to calm pan-green supporters," he said.
"President Chen Shui-bian chose to hold a press conference after the March 27 rally had finished because by then the Central Election Commission had officially declared his re-election, and the US had issued an official statement to congratulate him on his re-election," Lin said. "Plus it was difficult to predict the result of the pan-blue rally, so the president had to wait till the rally finished to give his talk."
Lin said that he thought the timing of Chen's speech was appropriate because many foreign reporters were still in the country to observe the pan-blue rally, so it was necessary for Chen to explain what was going on and what was on his mind.
"If the president chose to speak before the rally, it might have resulted in pan-blue supporters making more unreasonable demands. So the president finally decided to respond to their demands after the rally finished," Lin said.
"The President has the duty to keep the capital secure. While he responded to the pan-blue supporters' appeals, he also adopted a firm stand to evict the few people who remained on Ketagalan Boulevard after the rally finished so that most people's daily lives wouldn't be affected," Lin said.
Meanwhile, the Cabinet declared that it would cooperate with the Judicial Yuan on the recount.
Lin said the election controversy is gradually being solved as the Judicial Yuan will be able to hold the recount soon.
"The amendment to the Presidential and Vice Presidential Election and Recall Law (
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not