If the Taipei Biennial ever had a political goal, it was the amicable diplomacy of art.
But this year the brand of cross-strait bickering usually reserved for government officials has intruded on an exhibition that since 1998 has put the Taipei Fine Arts Museum on contemporary art's international map.
The 2002 Taipei Biennial, curated by Bartomeu Mari of Spain and Taiwan's Jason Wang (
PHOTO: SEAN CHAO, TAIPEI TIMES
The opening, held last night, attracted critics and curators from Lyons to Beijing, who had all come to see an exhibition conscientiously designed around artifice, spectacle and the spaces in which people live and act. Its theme is "Great Theater of the World."
The behind-the-scenes intrigue comes from the dark world of politics.
The drama began in March at Brazil's Sao Paulo Biennial, where the Chinese government put pressure on organizers to remove the word "Taiwan" from Taiwan's national pavilion, making it the only one of around 70 national pavilions not designated by a country. The pavilion's entrance merely read "Taipei Fine Arts Museum."
In response, Taiwan's representative artist, Chang Chien-chi (
Chang, a photographer devoted to social issues that are more or less borderless, is not part of this year's biennial, but Wang Gong-hsin (
Word of Wang's presence broke yesterday in a Chinese-language newspaper, which raised the question of his involvement in the Sao Paulo incident.
Museum officials, Wang and the art world in general, denounced the allegation as ridiculous.
Wang, in fact, called the article "amusing," but refused to enter into any debate, saying that as an artist it was more suitable to remain in the province of art.
Taiwanese sources also defended Wang.
The co-curator of the 2000 Taipei Biennial, Manray Hsu (許文瑞), who was also in Sao Paulo, said of the censorship incident, "It had more to do with the [Chinese] government. They were the source of the pressure."
Museum director Huang Tsai-lang (
Even the beleaguered Chang said, "There's no proof of Wang's involvement."
Though the buzz of controversy was still building at last night's opening ceremony, but visiting artists were not impressed.
"The reason we have these exhibitions is to move away from these stupid boundaries and limitations," said Edwin Zwakman, an artist from the Netherlands.
"This is not a propaganda game for governments," he said.
For more information on the art work in the 2002 Biennial, see tomorrow's features page.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not