The Chan sisters kept their bid for back-to-back doubles titles on track in the Japanese capital yesterday, despite having to survive a second-set meltdown at the Toray Pan Pacific Open.
Taiwan’s Chan Hao-ching and Chan Yung-jan cruised to a 6-1, 4-0 lead in their first-round match against Anna-Lena Groenefeld and CoCo Vandeweghe, but then lost six straight matches as their German-American opponents forced a super tiebreak.
However, the Taiwanese second seeds battled to a 10-7 victory in the decider at the Ariake Coliseum in Tokyo, where they won the Japan Open doubles final on Saturday, their third WTA Tour title of the season.
The Taiwanese duo saved two of five break points and converted five of 11, winning 67 of the 117 points contested to wrap up the victory in 1 hour, 15 minutes.
Chan Hao-ching, who moved up three places to 21st in the WTA Tour doubles rankings this week, and Chan Yung-jan, who climbed one place to 10th, face either Daria Gavrilova of Russia and Elina Svitolina of Ukraine or Olga Savchuk of Ukraine and Xu Yifan of China in the quarter-finals.
In the singles, Carla Suarez Navarro ended her eight-match dry spell with a hard-earned 7-6 (7/3), 6-2 victory on Tuesday against Kateryna Bondarenko.
It was the first victory for the 10th-ranked Spaniard since June and she suffered a first-round, straight-sets defeat against the 83rd-ranked Bondarenko a week ago at the Japan Open.
Suarez Navarro said that defeat gave her the insights to gain victory yesterday against the Ukrainian.
“It’s true that I lost [a week ago], but I had much in my mind how to play against her,” Suarez Navarro said. “Today, I just tried to play and be relaxed. I tried to play my game.”
Suarez Navarro said she had “lost confidence” as she kept losing match after match, with the negative feeling leading to psychological fatigue and more losses.
Now she hopes to regain her form as the current season draws toward its close, with only a handful of Asian tournaments to go.
“I feel happy because I can change the situation. With the next match, I have one more opportunity to try to play my game, and try to play like the beginning of the season,” the Spaniard said.
In other matches, German fifth-seed Angelique Kerber crushed Daria Gavrilova of Russia 6-2, 6-2.
It was Kerber’s first appearance since her nail-biting US Open third-round showdown against Victoria Azarenka, when she lost, but won much praise for her performance.
“I just try to take the confidence from the US Open to the next tournament here, for the Asia trip and for the next year,” she said.
The US Open match, Kerber said, showed that she can play “two or three hours on the high level.”
A Grand Slam victory appeared “so far away,” but “I will try to keep working for that. You never what happens,” she said.
In other action, eighth-seed Belinda Bencic beat China’s Xi Yi-Fan 6-0, 6-0, while Samantha Stosur of Australia beat Alison Riske of the US 4-6, 6-1, 6-3.
Romanian top seed Irina-Camelia Begu scored a comfortable victory over Ukrainian qualifier Kateryna Kozlova in the first round of the WTA Korea Open yesterday.
Begu, ranked 29th in the world, beat Kozlova in straight sets 6-2, 6-4 to set up a second-round meeting with Polona Hercog of Slovenia.
US third seed Sloane Stephens, ranked 32nd in the world, had little trouble against South Korean wildcard Han Na-lae 6-1, 6-1.
Two other Americans also advanced to the second round, with fourth seed Varvara Lepchenko pushing aside Spain’s Paula Badosa 6-2, 6-3. Christina McHale led the first set 6-4, but was down 1-2 in the second when Yaroslava Shvedova of Kazakhstan abandoned the match.
Elizaveta Kulichkova of Russia needed three sets against Heather Watson of England to book her place in the second round 6-4, 3-6, 6-3.
Katerina Siniakova of the Czech Republic edged Irina Falconi of the US 6-3, 2-6, 6-0, while Swedish veteran Johanna Larsson defeated Nicole Melichar of the US 6-4, 6-2.
Aliaksandra Sasnovich of Belarus knocked out sixth-seeded Alexandra Dulgheru of Romania 6-3, 6-2.
The 136th-ranked Sasnovich took one hour, nine minutes to dispose of the 54th-ranked Dulgheru, who struggled with her serves early on with five double-faults in the first set.
Additional reporting by AP
Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei crashed out of the first round at the Guangzhou Open yesterday, falling to a 6-1, 6-3 defeat to Anett Kontaveit of Estonia.
Hsieh served up 12 double faults, conceded five break points and converted just one as the world No. 98 wrapped up the victory in just 50 minutes.
In yesterday’s other first-round matches, Puerto Rico’s Monica Puig upset second seed Andrea Petkovic of Germany.
The unseeded Puig defeated Petkovic 6-1, 6-4 in the biggest upset of the day.
Additional reporting by staff writer
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
EXPENDITURE: Tokyo Games organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said that ‘additional expenses are going to be quite massive’ to reschedule the Olympics The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is working with sports bodies to arrange a July-to-August window next year for the postponed Tokyo Olympics and hopes to confirm the schedule within a month, Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday. John Coates, head of the IOC’s coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics, told the newspaper that the Games would have to be held between the tennis Grand Slams of Wimbledon, scheduled to end in mid-July, and the US Open, which starts in late August. “We want to more or less finalize the dates in four weeks’ time,” the newspaper quoted Coates as saying. Coates, who is also
PROUD, BUT BOWING OUT: The Dallas center missed all of 2018 due to Guillain-Barre syndrome, but Travis Frederick returned to be a standout again last season Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick on Monday stunningly announced his retirement. Frederick, who turned 29 on Wednesday last week, was a Pro Bowl selection in five of his six NFL seasons. Frederick revealed his retirement in a lengthy letter, beginning it by writing: “After much consideration, discussion, and reflection, I have decided to retire from football. This was not an easy decision.” Frederick cited his bout with autoimmune disease Guillain-Barre syndrome as a factor. He missed the 2018 season due to the illness in which the body’s immune system attacks the nervous system, but he returned to be a standout again last
When two Spanish soccer players took to the controls of FIFA 20 after the COVID-19 pandemic saw their La Liga match canceled, a stadium-sized virtual audience watched online. The huge digital crowd last week is part of a spectacular boom for the digital gaming industry, as record numbers flock to online servers for distraction, entertainment and friendship with the “real world” seemingly falling apart. Real Betis Balompie striker Borja Iglesias kicked the winning goal using his own digital likeness in the 6-5 battle against Sevilla, which was broadcast on popular video game streaming platform Twitch. It took place at the same time the