The adulation of Liverpool fans was not enough to save “King Kenny.”
Kenny Dalglish’s lackluster second stint in charge of the fallen English giants was halted by the club’s American owners after fewer than 500 days in charge on Wednesday.
Displaying their ruthless streak, the owners terminated the club legend’s contract after realizing he was unlikely to be able to bring the good times back to Liverpool by replicating his trophy-laden first spell.
Photo: Reuters
Dalglish produced the last of Liverpool’s 18 English league titles, before quitting a year later, in 1991. His expensively overhauled squad ended the season in eighth place, underperforming on the field and damaging the club’s reputation following a racism scandal involving striker Luis Suarez.
Winning the League Cup to end Liverpool’s six-year trophy drought and reaching the FA Cup final was not enough to convince the Fenway Sports Group that the club was on the right path under Dalglish.
“Results in the Premier League have been disappointing and we believe to build on the progress that has already been made we need to make a change,” chairman Tom Werner said. “We are committed to delivering success for our supporters and our ambition remains resolute to return this great club to the elite of England and Europe, where it belongs.”
Liverpool came within four points of winning the league in 2009 under Rafa Benitez, who delivered a fifth European Cup title to the club in 2005 and also led the team to the 2007 Champions League final.
Dalglish won eight league titles as a player and coach from 1977 to 1990. He returned to Anfield shortly after the Fenway takeover to replace Roy Hodgson in January last year, with the club hovering above the relegation zone.
After lifting Liverpool from their perilous position to sixth place, Dalglish was given a three-year contract at the end of the 2010-2011 season.
“Kenny came into the club as manager at our request at a time when Liverpool Football Club really needed him,” Werner said. “He didn’t ask to be manager — he was asked to assume the role. He did so because he knew the club needed him. He did more than anyone else to stabilize Liverpool over the past year and a half.”
There were moments of controversy, though.
Dalglish was widely condemned for initially backing Suarez, who served an eight-match ban for racially abusing Manchester United fullback Patrice Evra. Dalglish and his players wore T-shirts featuring the Uruguayan’s picture in a show of solidarity that angered anti-racism groups.
Dalglish is the latest senior figure to leave Anfield during the Fenway overhaul, following the exit of director of football Damien Comolli, head of sports medicine Peter Brukner and communications chief Ian Cotton in the past month.
Despite about US$200 million being spent on players during Dalglish’s reign, the Reds ended the season with their lowest-ever Premier League points tally on Sunday.
Liverpool finished behind crosstown rivals Everton for the first time since 2005 and only the second time since 1987.
“Whilst I am obviously disappointed to be leaving the football club, I can say that the matter has been handled by the owners and all concerned in an honorable, respectful and dignified way, and reflects on the quality of the people involved,” Dalglish said. “I said when first approached about coming back as manager that I would always be of help if I can at any time and that offer remains the same.”
Henry said that Dalglish “will always be a part of the family at Anfield.”
“Kenny will always be more than a championship-winning manager, more than a championship-winning star player,” Henry said. “He is in many ways the heart and soul of the club. He personifies everything that is good about Liverpool.”
Liverpool have three months until the new season begins to replace Dalglish.
Memphis Grizzlies forward Brandon Clarke, 29, has died, the NBA team said in a statement on Tuesday, while the family of Jason Collins, the first openly gay man to play in a major US pro sports league, announced the former Grizzlies and Brooklyn Nets player had died after a battle with brain cancer. “We are heartbroken by the tragic loss of Brandon Clarke,” the Grizzlies said in a statement posted on social media. “Brandon was an outstanding teammate and an even better person whose impact on the organization and the greater Memphis community will not be forgotten.” The statement did not provide
Mathys Tel was hero and villain as Tottenham drew 1-1 at home to Leeds United on Monday — a result that leaves their English Premier League future hanging in the balance. The Frenchman broke the deadlock early in the second half to ease the tension at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, but then gave away a penalty with a reckless attempted clearance. In the dying minutes, Spurs were grateful to Antonin Kinsky, who produced an astonishing save to deny the visitors a win. Tottenham are now two points clear of 18th-placed West Ham United with just two games left this season. The
Houston Astros right-hander Teng Kai-wei, the only active Taiwanese pitcher in MLB, on Sunday suffered his third loss of the season, throwing a season-high 63 pitches in his second start of the year. Teng allowed three earned runs over three innings on five hits in the Astros’ 5-0 road loss to the Cincinnati Reds. He struck out one, walked one, and hit one batter among the 15 hitters he faced, raising his earned run average to 3.12. It was the Astros’ second attempt to use the 27-year-old Taiwanese as a starter, after he had established himself as a reliable bullpen
‘DONE IT ALL’: LeBron James is now out of contract with the Lakers and would head into the off season as a free agent with uncertainty swirling around his future LeBron James on Monday said he would take time to consider his future after the Los Angeles Lakers were swept out of the NBA playoffs by the Oklahoma City Thunder in what could turn out to be the final game of his career. James, 41, delivered a typically defiant performance with 24 points and 12 rebounds, but it was not enough to prevent the Lakers from falling 115-110 as the Thunder completed a 4-0 sweep in the Western Conference semi-finals series. The four-time NBA champion is now out of contract with the Lakers and would head into the off season