Top government officials are currently weighing the possibility of replacing National Security Bureau (NSB) Director General Ting Yu-chou (
While the government has not yet made a final decision on the matter, sources said that leaders are more inclined to keep Ting at his position to assist in restructuring the bureau and to help improve the country's national security system.
An official with the NSB, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said replacing Ting may not be a cure-all and that it would not be fair for Ting to take the full blame for both the unapproved departure to China by Pan Hsi-hsien (
Pan, who retired June 1 at the rank of major general and departed for China three days later, was taken into custody by Chinese security agents in Guangdong Province at the end of last month. It is believed that he is still being held by the Chinese authorities.
Pan's plan to go to China and work there was known by a number of his colleagues, who held a farewell party for him before he left the service, internal investigations by the NSB indicated.
Because subordinates concealed Pan's China trip plan from him, General Ting was most likely the only one at the bureau unaware of the trip, and probably did not know of it until it was first exposed by legislators and later extensively reported in the press.
As chief of the country's top intelligence agency, Ting is supposed to know everything relating to the country's national security, but he apparently failed the public's expectations in this regard.
But the matter is complicated by several factors, such as a personal feud between Ting and Pan, factionalism in the bureau and personal problems with Pan.
According to a recently-released report on the incident by the Control Yuan, Pan was forced to take early retirement because of a drunk driving incident at the beginning of this year.
To Pan and other servicemen, early retirement means lost salary and a scaling down of retirement pension packages.
Pan's monthly salary before retirement was about NT$100,000, but his monthly income could be as high as NT$200,000 if allowances and subsidies were taken into account, intelligence sources said.
Pan's early retirement could have cost him as much as NT$1 million, compared to what he would have received had he retired as scheduled at the end of the year. His forced departure had certainly much to do with Ting, who is known for demanding his staff remain "clean," sources said.
Another dimension to the Pan incident is factionalism in the bureau. Pan was widely known to have been brought into the bureau by ex-NSB chief Sung Hsin-lien (
Pan was probably one of the few remaining members of the Sung faction in the bureau when Ting took over the NSB directorship last year from Yin Chung-wen (
Being a member of a smaller faction in the bureau, Pan stayed at the major general rank for the rest of his service while some of his classmates, like Combined Services Force Commander-in-chief Hsieh Chien-tung (
Sources said, however, that Pan's service record was another major element which affected his career.
While a colonel, Pan was already involved in Taiwan's intelligence operations in China, responsible for training agents to operate across the Taiwan Strait, they said.
However, in one incident which became a stain on Pan's record, three agents trained by Pan were recalled just before they were to enter China through a country in the Indo-China region, they said.
The reason for calling off the infiltration mission at the last moment was highly classified, they said, but the incident had strongly affected Pan's further advancement.
SURPRISE GUEST: Media reports identified the visitor as Admiral Michael Studeman, director of the J2, which oversees intelligence at the US military’s Indo-Pacific Command A two-star US Navy admiral overseeing US military intelligence in the Asia-Pacific region has made an unannounced visit to Taiwan, two sources told Reuters on Sunday. The sources, who include a Taiwanese official familiar with the situation, said the official was Rear Admiral Michael Studeman. They were speaking on condition of anonymity. After initially saying on Sunday night that it had no comment about the report, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it welcomed the visit of an “unidentified US official,” but declined to give more details because the trip “has not been made public.” Presidential Office spokesman Xavier Chang (張惇涵) yesterday
AUTUMN STRUGGLE: The KMT and TPP set up stages on the rally’s sidelines, while Want Want boss Tsai Eng-meng said the DPP was curtailing freedom of speech Tens of thousands of people in Taipei yesterday took part in the “Autumn Struggle” (秋鬥) — an annual protest march by labor groups — but with this year’s focus on rejecting the government’s plan to allow imports of US pork containing ractopamine residue. “Against poisonous pork, against double standards, against a party-state,” the protesters, mostly wearing black, chanted in front of the rally’s main stage on Ketagalan Boulevard at about noon, before a parade set off at 2pm. Autumn Struggle spokesperson Lee Chien-cheng (李建誠) said this year’s march was divided into three teams, with the first team urging food safety and labor
DEFENSE: The construction of indigenous submarines will be a testament to the nation’s commitment to safeguard its sovereignty, President Tsai Ing-wen said President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday presided over a ceremony to mark the start of construction of the nation’s first indigenous submarine at state-run shipbuilder CSBC Corp’s (台灣國際造船) shipyard in Kaohsiung. “This submarine is an important part of allowing our navy to develop asymmetric warfare and to intimidate and block enemy ships from surrounding Taiwan’s main island,” Tsai said. “With the construction of the submarine to its future commission, we will certainly let the world know our persistence in safeguarding our sovereignty.” Tsai has made boosting the nation’s indigenous defense capacity a central pillar of her defense policy. She recently relaunched the
TIMELINE QUESTIONS: Chen Shih-chung said: ‘If anyone could assure us that we could get the shots in the first quarter of next year, we could set off firecrackers’ Taiwan has secured nearly 15 million COVID-19 vaccine doses, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported five new imported infections among travelers from Indonesia and the Philippines. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that Taiwan on Monday signed a procurement contract with a COVID-19 vaccine manufacturer and paid a deposit to secure 10 million doses. It was the first contract finalized with a manufacturer and negotiations are under way with three other vaccine makers, Chen said. With the more than 4.6 million doses that can be obtained through the COVAX platform —