Small groups of pro-democracy demonstrators remained on Hong Kong’s streets yesterday, after protest leaders agreed to talks with the government and some students returned to school for exams.
Talks between the government and student leaders are progressing at a snail’s pace, although even protest leaders are now acutely worried that further disruption could alienate supporters.
The mass protests for fully free elections have brought parts of the territory to a standstill for more than a week and while many remain supportive of the movement, they also want to resume their daily lives.
Photo: Reuters
A second round of “preparatory talks” was held late on Monday night in a bid to set conditions for formal negotiations. Students had already agreed to talks with Hong Kong Chief Secretary Carrie Lam (林鄭月娥), but called them off on Friday after what they described as “organized attacks” on protesters at the Mong Kok demonstration site.
Yet a Hong Kong delegate to China’s National People’s Congress said the protests could not overturn Beijing’s August decision to vet candidates for the territory’s 2017 leadership elections.
“I don’t see why the National People’s Congress Standing Committee would change its decision... It was a nationwide decision and the decision has to face the country’s 1.3 billion people,” Rita Fan (范徐麗泰) told reporters.
Yesterday was another day of traffic mayhem, with diversions causing jams and commuter frustration, and the reopening of primary schools adding to the chaos.
The few protesters that remain are still determined to make their point, though unsure of the result.
“To be honest, I don’t have confidence that we can succeed, but whether we succeed or not, I am giving my best. I also learned that we can speak out when it is needed,” said Dickson Yeung, 20.
Demonstrator numbers grew throughout the day, but remained low at protest sites as well as outside the central government offices. Yet despite dwindling crowds, today’s opening of the Legislative Council was postponed to next week.
“I am not assured that there is a quiet and safe environment in the surroundings for a meeting to be held,” Legislative Council President Jasper Tsang (曾鈺成) said.
Pro-democracy lawmakers slammed the cancelation.
“You can’t dodge it forever. Even if you postpone it for three weeks, public anger will not go away,” Civic Party leader Alan Leong (梁家傑) told reporters.
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very