The Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) yesterday said that a probe into former deputy council minister Chang Hsien-yao’s (張顯耀) actions had been handed over to the Ministry of Justice’s Investigation Bureau, but it refused to say what aspect of Chang’s work has been called into question and investigated in light of the council’s “suspicions.”
Chang later yesterday decried the council’s announcement as “a mafia-style hunt.”
Council spokeswoman Wu Mei-hung (吳美紅) told a news conference in Taipei that the Investigation Bureau has secured “a lot of information” and had decided, after coordinating with the council, to take the case.
Photo: Courtesy of TVBS
Wu said the decision was made because “the suspicions about Chang’s work partially involve national security,” adding that the council would “cooperate with the bureau on the investigation.”
Asked whether the bureau has already visited the council’s office to perform a search, Wu said no.
However, “[Mainland Affairs Council Minister] Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦) and [Investigation Bureau Director-General] Wang Chung-yi (汪忠一) have talked over the telephone,” Wu said.
Wu declined to categorize the seriousness of Chang’s alleged violations of national security, emphasizing that his case has been handed over to the bureau and it would be up to bureau officials to report on the investigation.
Later in the day, Chang took part in a political talk show on cable TV network TVBS — scheduled to be broadcast at 10pm — in which he tearfully said that he had not failed the nation or President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九).
“I am very grateful to the president, but Mr President, you have been given information that is contrary to the facts,” he said.
Chang added he has made his “preparations” and “written relevant information in [my] will.”
“I know too many things and I considered some of them inappropriate. I made suggestions. Maybe my straightforward suggestions or my objections to certain matters have offended some people,” he said.
“This kind of hunt is like the mafia crushingly hunting down a traitor. I am deeply chilled by the act,” Chang told the talk show host.
The council and Chang have traded claims since the Cabinet announced on Saturday last week that Chang had resigned as the council’s principal deputy minister for “family reasons” and his position would be filled by council Deputy Minister Lin Chu-chia (林祖嘉).
Chang on Sunday night released a statement suggesting that he had been asked to step down.
On Monday morning, the council held a news conference, where Wu said the council had made the request that Chang leave because of “suspicions about his work.”
She said the council had been trying to protect Chang when it issued its statement on Saturday.
Following the council’s news conference, Chang released another statement on Monday at noon, saying that he “followed the instructions of the president, the National Security Council’s secretary-general and [the Mainland Affairs] Council’s minister” all throughout his work for the council.
STRATEGY TWEAK: Arrivals to Taiwan testing positive for COVID-19 are to be escorted to an ambulance via a special exit and hospitalized, the health minister said Starting today, arrivals on long-haul flights must wait for the results of COVID-19 tests before finishing airport entry procedures, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday. The center also reported six locally transmitted cases of COVID-19, possibly linked to the airport cluster, and 26 imported cases. As more than two dozen local COVID-19 cases have since Monday last week been reported among workers at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport and their close contacts, as well as a few people likely linked to them, the center on Sunday said that entry quarantine procedures would be revised. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中),
SEARCH CONTINUES: The fighter jet disappeared from radar screens at 3:23pm, about 30 minutes after it took off, air force Major General Liu Hui-chien said Search-and-rescue teams yesterday searched for an air force pilot after his F-16V Block 20 jet went missing during an afternoon bombing exercise near the coastline of Chiayi County’s Dongshih Township (東石鄉), the air force said. The search continued as of press time last evening. The single-seat jet (serial number 6650) disappeared from radar screens at 3:23pm, about 30 minutes after it took off from Chiayi Air Base, air force Inspector General Major General Liu Hui-chien (柳惠千) told a news conference in Taipei. All F-16Vs are temporarily suspended from exercises pending the completion of emergency checks on the fleet, he said. The fighter piloted by
LUNAR NEW YEAR: The nation is expecting 4,200 international travelers to arrive today and 3,900 tomorrow, as people return home for the holidays, the CECC said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday said it expects imported cases of COVID-19 to further increase today and tomorrow — the peak period for international arrivals before the Lunar New Year holiday. The nation has seen more imported cases of COVID-19 since it implemented a new policy on Tuesday requiring travelers on long-haul flights to undergo a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test upon arrival. Those who test positive are taken directly to hospitals from airports. Most of the recent confirmed cases of COVID-19 were travelers arriving from the US, CECC data showed. On Tuesday, 58 of the 625 travelers arriving at Taiwan
TRACEABLE: The expansion of a cluster infection appears to be slowing, as genome sequencing results show a clearer link among confirmed cases, Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported 96 COVID-19 infections: four domestic and 92 imported cases. Three of the domestically transmitted cases are bank workers likely linked to previously reported airport clusters, it added. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, attributed the high number of imported cases in part to the implementation on Tuesday of a tighter entry policy. Travelers arriving on long-haul flights are immediately tested for COVID-19 upon arrival and must wait for results of their rapid polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests on site. Those who test negative are allowed to proceed with normal