Formosa Plastics Group (FPG, 台塑企業), the nation’s largest industrial conglomerate, yesterday said that anti-China protesters in Vietnam broke into the facilities of its division in Nhon Trach District, Dong Nai Province, on Tuesday, injuring one employee from Taiwan.
The protests were caused by China’s dispatch of an oil rig to a disputed area in the South China Sea 120km from Vietnam’s coast.
However, protesters on Tuesday either could not or did not differentiate between Taiwanese companies and Chinese ones, Hong Fu-yuan (洪福源), president of the group’s Vietnamese division, Formosa Industries Corp (台灣興業), said in Taipei yesterday.
About 300 protesters, some carrying steel bars and others on motorcycles, stormed Formosa Industries’ offices, factory and dormitory at 11:45pm on Tuesday. They stole or destroyed computer monitors and TV, as well as robbed employees of personal property, before leaving at about 4am, Hong said.
Formosa Plastics Group is one of the biggest foreign investors in Vietnam. Hong said Formosa Industries had halted its operations in Dong Nai and is assessing the damage. While major facilities were not affected, resuming operations will depend on whether the local government can offer the firm sufficient protection, he said.
“The situation was close to anarchy,” Hong said. “Since the Vietnamese government is incapable of protecting investors from abroad, we believe foreign investors will have to reconsider their future investments in the country.”
Asked about the company’s US$500 million capacity expansion plan for textile and plastics production in the area, Hong said it will re-evaluate the parts of the initiative that have not been initiated yet, without offering details.
Formosa Industries has no plan to repatriate its 200 Taiwanese employees because it is still too dangerous, he added.
Formosa Industries posts annual revenues of NT$25 billion (US$803.08 million) on average and employs 3,000 workers, Hong said.
Tire maker Cheng Shin Rubber Industrial Co (正新輪胎), which rents land from Formosa Industries in the area, said its premises were also attacked by anti-China protesters, causing it to shut its Vietnamese division down yesterday.
Cheng Shin is still assessing the damage at its Vietnamese unit, which produces 15,000 tires for motorcycles a year and posts annual revenue of NT$3 billion a year on average, or about 3 percent of the tire maker’s total revenue.
However, Advanced International Multitech Co (明安國際), which also rents land from Formosa Industries in the area to manufacture golf club heads and putters, is sending 30 of its Taiwanese staff home.
The golf equipment firm’s division in Vietnam, which generates 10 percent of its products, yesterday said it would use its Chinese plants to meet client orders.
Apparel maker Eclat Textile Co (儒鴻) also shut down five factories in southern Vietnam yesterday, but kept two in the north open.
Sales of Eclat’s Vietnamese division accounted for more than 50 percent of the company’s revenue of NT$18.14 billion last year, vice president Roger Lo (羅仁傑) said.
Eclat did not receive any report of damage at its factories, Lo said.
As for its capacity expansion drive in Nhon Trach, Lo said it will be completed by the end of this quarter as scheduled.
FORCED LABOR: Customs officials have seized a 11.8 tonne shipment of products made from human hair on suspicion they were produced by people facing human rights abuses Federal authorities in New York City on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officials said that 11.8 tonnes of hair products worth an estimated US$800,000 were in the shipment. “The production of these goods constitutes a very serious human rights violation, and the detention order is intended to send a clear and direct message to all entities seeking to do business with the United States that illicit and inhumane practices will not be tolerated in
JUST QUESTIONS: Expelled reporter Ai Kezhu said that every member of Southeast Television had complied with the law and had not appeared on any talk shows Two Chinese reporters yesterday left Taiwan after the government revoked their accreditation and ordered them to leave amid a probe into allegations that several Chinese media outlets have set up studios and produced political talk shows in Taiwan. The two reporters — Ai Kezhu (艾珂竹) and Lu Qiang (盧薔) — worked for Fujian Province-based Southeast Television and arrived in Taiwan in December last year. The Mainland Affairs Council has launched an investigation after local media reported that Chinese broadcasters — including China Central Television, Southeast Television and FJTV — had set up studios in Taipei and produced political talk shows. Council Deputy Minister
PROBE LAUNCHED: An officer who served as a supervisor in the drill died in an apparent suicide after the accident, which was caused by unexpected waves Two marines who were on Friday injured in a military exercise in the waters off Kaohsiung passed away yesterday, Navy Command said. The marines — surnamed Tsai (蔡), 26, and a sergeant surnamed Chen (陳), 36 — were in a seven-member Marine Corps team that encountered rough seas during a simulated response to enemy forces landing on Taiwan. Their rubber craft overturned in waters off Taoziyuan (桃子園) beach in Zuoying District (左營), injuring four of the marines. They were rushed to hospital, where three of them — Tsai, Chen and a 34-year-old sergeant — were taken to an intensive care unit
‘SIGNAL TO ALLIES’: The US Navy’s exercises are not in response to those carried out by China, the commander of the strike group led by the USS ‘Ronald Reagan’ said Two US aircraft carriers were yesterday conducting exercises in the disputed South China Sea, the US Navy said as China also carried out military drills that have been criticized by the US Department of Defense and neighboring states. China and the US have accused each other of stoking tension in the waterway at a time of strained relations over everything from COVID-19 to trade to Hong Kong. The USS Nimitz and USS Ronald Reagan were carrying out operations and exercises in the South China Sea “to support a free and open Indo-Pacific,” the navy said in a statement. It did not say exactly