Vietnam and the Philippines yesterday pushed for stronger action to confront China’s aggressive behavior in the South China Sea at the first regional summit hosted by Myanmar.
A showdown between Chinese and Vietnamese ships near the Paracel Islands (Xisha Islands, 西沙群島) — also claimed by Taiwan — has put a spotlight on long-standing and bitter maritime disputes.
Several members of the ASEAN bloc reject China’s claims to much of the South China Sea, saying parts of the sea are theirs, but few are willing to risk their political and economic relationship with the regional powerhouse.
A draft of the closing statement from the summit, obtained by The Associated Press, made no direct mention of China, and ASEAN foreign ministers who gathered on Saturday did little beyond expressing concern and calling for self-restraint.
However, Vietnam and the Philippines both made it clear they wanted more.
“China has brazenly moved its deep-water drilling rig escorted by over 80 armed and military vessels and many airplanes to the Vietnamese waters,” Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dzung was quoted as saying in a draft speech.
The vessels “fired high-powered water cannons and rammed straight into the Vietnamese public-service and civil ships, causing damage to many ships and injuring many people on board.”
He asked that concerns about the South China Sea be included in ASEAN’s final statement.
The standoff between China and Vietnam started on May 1 when China moved a deep-sea oil rig into waters close to the Paracel Islands in what most analysts believe was an especially assertive move to help cement its claims of sovereignty over the area.
China insists it is doing nothing wrong.
Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokeswoman Hua Chunying (華春瑩) yesterday said that the issue should not concern ASEAN and that Beijing was opposed to “one or two countries’ attempts to use the South China Sea issue to harm the overall friendship and cooperation between China and ASEAN,” Xinhua news agency reported.
ASEAN leaders also discussed tensions on the Korean Peninsula, reiterating their commitment to a region “free of nuclear weapons and all other weapons of mass destruction,” according to the draft of the final statement.
They also discussed the need to effectively tackle threats such as cybercrime, human trafficking and climate change, as well as food and energy security, human rights issues and efforts to create an ASEAN economic community.
Earlier in the day, protesters staged one of Vietnam’s largest ever anti-China demonstrations over the oil-rig standoff.
About 1,000 people, from war veterans to students, waved banners saying: “China. don’t steal our oil” and “Silence is cowardly” — a dig at Hanoi’s handling of the dispute — and sang patriotic songs in a park opposite the Chinese embassy in Hanoi.
War veteran Dang Quang Thang, 74, said: “Our patience has limits. We are here to express the will of the Vietnamese people to defend our territory at all costs. We are ready to die to protect our nation.”
Hundreds of plainclothes and uniformed police set up barricades to prevent protesters approaching the Chinese embassy compound, but made no move to break up the rowdy demonstration, even though the regime normally tightly controls any public expression of discontent.
Protests also broke out in central Danang town and Ho Chi Minh City yesterday.
KEEP AWAY: People should wear a mask in places where they cannot follow social distancing rules, the CECC said, adding that it would publish detailed guidelines today The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 16 new cases of COVID-19, including two domestic cases, as it urged people to practice social distancing in public spaces by keeping a distance of at least 1m when outdoors and 1.5m indoors. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that seven of the new cases tested positive upon their arrival at the airport, four were under home quarantine, one was under home isolation and two were under self-health management, while the two domestic cases sought treatment on their own. The domestic cases are a man in his
Taiwan will negotiate with the WHO about its participation without Beijing’s help and intervention as more countries, including Australia and Japan, are partnering with Taiwan to curb the COVID-19 pandemic, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in a telephonic roundtable with reporters on Monday also supported Taiwan’s role in the WHO, saying the US Department of State would do its best to assist Taiwan’s “appropriate role” in the world’s highest health policy setting body, Voice of America reported. In a Japan Business Press report published on Sunday, Chinese Ambassador to Japan Kong Xuanyou (孔鉉佑) said
Japan’s ruling party yesterday proposed the nation’s biggest-ever stimulus package of ￥60 trillion (US$554 billion) as the COVID-19 pandemic locks the economy in a recession. The sum includes ￥20 trillion in fiscal measures with private initiatives and other elements likely making up the rest, the proposal by the Liberal Democratic Party showed. More than ￥10 trillion, or the equivalent of a 5 percentage point cut in the sales tax rate, would be handed out to the public in a combination of cash, subsidies and coupons, the plan showed. The proposal puts an initial figure on a stimulus package that Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo
Malaysian authorities have advised women to wear makeup, not to nag their husbands and speak with a cartoon character’s soothing voice during the virus lockdown, sparking a flood of mockery online. Like many countries, Malaysia has ordered all citizens to stay at home to stem the spread of COVID-19, which, as of yesterday, had killed at least 39,070 people globally. In a series of online posters with the hashtag #WomenPreventCOVID19, the Malaysian Ministry of Women and Family Development issued advice on how to avoid domestic conflicts during the partial lockdown, which began on March 18. One of the campaign posters depicted