Minister of Foreign Affairs David Lin (林永樂) yesterday said the government will continue to assist the Philippines with its relief and reconstruction efforts in the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan, with “no limits on resources and manpower to help the country.”
Lin told a meeting of the legislature’s Foreign Affairs and National Defense Committee that the assistance offered to the Philippines was highly appreciated by Manila because it included much-needed relief goods and was being delivered promptly.
Two Republic of China Air Force C-130 transport planes left yesterday morning to ferry 15 tonnes of relief supplies to the Philippines and two more left in the afternoon. On Tuesday, two C-130s had delivered 15 tonnes of food, water, blankets and tents to Cebu.
Photo: AFP / Taiwan Military News Agency
The Ministry of National Defense had been considering using military vessels to transport supplies that have been donated by individuals, charities and religious organizations for post-disaster relief efforts because they total about 100 tonnes so far and the C-130s can only carry 7.5 tonnes at a time, Lin said.
In a statement issued last night, the ministry said six more planes would be sent today.
The ministry has been in close contact with “very high-ranking Philippine officials” about the list of relief supplies needed and delivery arrangements, he said.
Taiwan Solidarity Union Legislator Hsu Chung-hsin (許忠信) asked Lin whether the government planned to add to its US$200,000 financial donation to the Philippines.
That was a small amount compared with the government’s donation of US$3.3 million to Japan after the 2011 earthquake, Hsu said.
Lin said the US$200,000 donation had been made before the extent of the devastation in the Philippines became clear, and the government would continue to provide Manila with assistance to meet its rehabilitation and reconstruction needs.
“We did not just donate US$200,000. Taking into account the relief goods, valued at NT$50 million, and fuel and transportation costs, the donation amounted to US$4.3 million,” Lin said.
Lin told Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Yang Ying-hsiung (楊應雄), who also expressed concern about the amount of the financial donation, that plans for more relief are being formulated.
KMT Legislator Lin Yu-fang (林郁方) and Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Hsiao Bi-Khim (蕭美琴) both suggested that the government extend as much help as possible to the Philippines to pave the way for better bilateral relations.
Hsu said he was not happy that Taiwan had not been included in the list of 23 countries that have made offers of assistance to Manila compiled by the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs.
However, the department did mention the help offered by Taiwan and organizations, including the UN and the EU in its announcement.
Taiwan was not on the list because the Philippines’ “one China” policy does not recognize Taiwan as a country, but the donation effort should not be politicized, Hsu said.
Meanwhile, President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) said the government will continue offering relief supplies and financial aid to the Philippines in the wake of Haiyan.
“The Philippines is a neighbor of the Republic of China, and engaged in various exchanges with us. More than 60,000 Philippine workers make great contributions to our industries and families in Taiwan, and we should lend a helping hand when our friend is in need,” he said.
“The cooperation between the government and civilian groups to give supplies to survivors in the aftermath of disasters has made us a respected country, and we will continue to play the role of a humanitarian in international society,” Ma said.
Passengers on domestic flights would not be allowed to board if their temperature is more than 37.5°C or if they refuse to have their temperatures taken, Uni Air (立榮航空) and Mandarin Airlines (華信航空) said yesterday. The two airlines made the announcement after their parent companies — EVA Airways (長榮航空) and China Airlines (CAL, 中華航空) respectively — announced similar pre-boarding requirements on Saturday, along with a requirement that passengers wear masks during their flights, except when they have meals or drinks. Uni Air and Mandarin Airlines said domestic passengers would be required to wear masks from the time they start using self-help
CASE COUNT RISES: One of the new domestic cases is a nurse at a long-term care center, but so far tests on all the residents and other staff have been negative Flight transits through all Taiwanese airports would be banned for two weeks, starting tomorrow, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday as it announced 16 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the nation’s total to 169. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), head of the center, said all flight transits would be banned through April 7. In light of the rapidly increasing number of imported COVID-19 cases, there was a need to further reduce cross-border travel and the risk of disease transmission, the center said. The Civil Aeronautics Administration has informed airlines about the new measures, and anyone who has
A public health expert yesterday warned that too many people are meeting in small groups in coffee shops and restaurants without keeping a proper distance from one another, as he urged the government to loosen the criteria for testing young Taiwanese returning from abroad for COVID-19. People need to keep a social distance of at least 2m, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health dean Chan Chang-chuan (詹長權) said as the college presented its seventh weekly report on COVID-19 at a morning news conference. More than 300,000 confirmed cases of the virus have been reported in more than three-quarters of all
TWEET CONFIRMED: The US’ Morgan Ortagus backed up Taiwan, saying China only admitted that human-to-human transmission was possible as late as Jan. 20 Taiwan warned the WHO and China about possible human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus at the end of last year, but the global health body did not make it public, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. Department of International Organizations Director-General Bob Chen (陳龍錦) made the remark at a news briefing in Taipei, when asked about statements made by US Department of State spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus. “Dec. 31— that’s the same day Taiwan first tried to warn WHO of human-human transmission. Chinese authorities meanwhile silenced doctors and refused to admit human-human transmission until Jan. 20, with catastrophic consequences,” Ortagus wrote on