A wrecked Philippine navy transport ship perched on a remote coral reef could be the next flashpoint in the South China Sea, where Taiwan, China and four other claimants bitterly dispute territory, officials say.
The Philippines is accusing China of encroachment after three Chinese ships, including a naval frigate, converged just 5 nautical miles (9 km) from an old transport ship that Manila ran aground on a reef in 1999 to mark its territory.
Philippine officials say they fear the Chinese ships will block supplies to about a dozen Filipino marines stationed in abject conditions on the rusting ship, raising tensions over one of Asia’s biggest security issues.
The area, known as Second Thomas Shoal (Renai Shoal, 仁愛暗沙), is a strategic gateway to Reed Bank (Lile Bank, 禮樂灘), believed to be rich in oil and natural gas. In 2010, Manila awarded a consortium a licence to explore for gas on the Reed Bank, but drilling stalled last year due to the presence of Chinese ships.
The shoal is one of several possible flashpoints in the South China Sea that could force the US to intervene in defense of its Southeast Asian allies.
Manila says the Reed Bank, about 148km west of Palawan Island at the southwestern end of the Philippine archipelago, is within the country’s 200 nautical mile (370.4km) exclusive economic zone.
Beijing says it is part of the Spratly Islands (Nansha Islands, 南沙群島), a group of 250 uninhabitable islets, claimed entirely by Taiwan, China and Vietnam, and in part by Malaysia, Brunei and the Philippines.
“China should pull out of the area because under international law, they do not have the right to be there,” Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs spokesman Raul Hernandez said. He added that the Chinese ships were a “provocation and illegal presence.”
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei (洪磊) said on Tuesday that the Second Thomas Shoal was part of the Spratly Islands, over which China had “indisputable sovereignty.”
“It is beyond reproach for Chinese boats to carry out patrols in these waters,” Hong said, adding that China called on all parties to “refrain from taking actions that complicate the situation.”
A report issued on Tuesday by Chinese military think tank the Center for National Defense Policy said it was the US’ “pivot” back to Asia which had “shattered” the relative calm of the South China Sea, warning of a crisis ahead.
STRATEGY TWEAK: Arrivals to Taiwan testing positive for COVID-19 are to be escorted to an ambulance via a special exit and hospitalized, the health minister said Starting today, arrivals on long-haul flights must wait for the results of COVID-19 tests before finishing airport entry procedures, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday. The center also reported six locally transmitted cases of COVID-19, possibly linked to the airport cluster, and 26 imported cases. As more than two dozen local COVID-19 cases have since Monday last week been reported among workers at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport and their close contacts, as well as a few people likely linked to them, the center on Sunday said that entry quarantine procedures would be revised. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中),
SEARCH CONTINUES: The fighter jet disappeared from radar screens at 3:23pm, about 30 minutes after it took off, air force Major General Liu Hui-chien said Search-and-rescue teams yesterday searched for an air force pilot after his F-16V Block 20 jet went missing during an afternoon bombing exercise near the coastline of Chiayi County’s Dongshih Township (東石鄉), the air force said. The search continued as of press time last evening. The single-seat jet (serial number 6650) disappeared from radar screens at 3:23pm, about 30 minutes after it took off from Chiayi Air Base, air force Inspector General Major General Liu Hui-chien (柳惠千) told a news conference in Taipei. All F-16Vs are temporarily suspended from exercises pending the completion of emergency checks on the fleet, he said. The fighter piloted by
LUNAR NEW YEAR: The nation is expecting 4,200 international travelers to arrive today and 3,900 tomorrow, as people return home for the holidays, the CECC said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday said it expects imported cases of COVID-19 to further increase today and tomorrow — the peak period for international arrivals before the Lunar New Year holiday. The nation has seen more imported cases of COVID-19 since it implemented a new policy on Tuesday requiring travelers on long-haul flights to undergo a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test upon arrival. Those who test positive are taken directly to hospitals from airports. Most of the recent confirmed cases of COVID-19 were travelers arriving from the US, CECC data showed. On Tuesday, 58 of the 625 travelers arriving at Taiwan
TRACEABLE: The expansion of a cluster infection appears to be slowing, as genome sequencing results show a clearer link among confirmed cases, Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported 96 COVID-19 infections: four domestic and 92 imported cases. Three of the domestically transmitted cases are bank workers likely linked to previously reported airport clusters, it added. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, attributed the high number of imported cases in part to the implementation on Tuesday of a tighter entry policy. Travelers arriving on long-haul flights are immediately tested for COVID-19 upon arrival and must wait for results of their rapid polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests on site. Those who test negative are allowed to proceed with normal