Chinese educational institutions named in connection with cyber-attacks on Google have denied involvement, state media said on Saturday, as differences festered between Beijing and the Internet giant.
The New York Times reported on Thursday that the cyber-attacks aimed at Google and dozens of other firms had been traced to Shanghai Jiaotong University and the Lanxiang Vocational School, which the newspaper said had military backing. The paper cited anonymous sources for the report.
Google vowed last month to stop bowing to Internet censors in China in the wake of sophisticated cyber-attacks aimed at the US firm’s source code and at Gmail accounts of Chinese human rights activists around the world.
A spokesperson for Shanghai Jiaotong University told Xinhua news agency: “We were shocked and indignant to hear these baseless allegations, which may harm the university’s reputation.”
“The report of the New York Times was based simply on an IP [Internet Protocol] address. Given the highly developed network technology today, such a report is neither objective or balanced,” the spokesperson said.
Li Zixiang, party chief at the Lanxiang Vocational School in Shandong Province, also named in the report, said: “Investigation … found no trace the attacks originated from our school.”
Li denied a relationship between the school and the military and rejected links made in the report to a computer science class taught by a Ukrainian professor.
“There is no Ukrainian teacher in the school and we have never employed any foreign staff,” Li told Xinhua. “The report was unfounded. Please show the evidence.”
Lanxiang teaches vocational skills such as cooking, auto repair and hairdressing, while the computer science class offers only basic courses, Xinhua reported.
The director of the school’s general office, Zhou Hui, said 38 students had been recruited by the military since 2006 “for their talent in auto repair, cooking and electric welding.”
Following its January comments, Google has continued filtering searches in line with Chinese law, while trying to negotiate a compromise with officials.
Google cofounder Sergey Brin said this month he hoped the Internet powerhouse would find a way to operate in China without censoring Web search results.
“I’m optimistic,” Brin said during an on-stage chat at the prestigious TED Conference in Long Beach, California, on Feb. 12. “I want to find a way to really work within the Chinese system and drive more information.”
“A lot of people think I’m naive, and that may be true, but I wouldn’t have started a search engine if I wasn’t naive,” he said.
Brin declined to place odds on the chances of Google working out a compromise that would allow unfettered online searches in China, saying only that while it wasn’t likely to happen now it might “in a year or two.”
He defended Google’s decision to launch a filtered google.cn search engine in China in 2006, saying the company’s presence in that market “made a big difference, but things started going downhill after the [Beijing] Olympics.”
“We intend to stop censoring,” Brin said. “We don’t want to run a service that is politically censored.”
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very