US President Barack Obama was to take his case for a huge economic rescue plan directly to the US public yesterday, warning of a “catastrophe” without urgent action, as a pivotal vote loomed in the US Senate.
Confronting the biggest challenge of his new presidency, Obama was returning to barnstorming campaign mode with a “town hall” meeting in rust-belt Indiana before his first White House news conference in prime time at 8pm.
The president on Saturday had welcomed signs of a tentative deal by lawmakers on his stimulus plan as the Senate held a rare weekend session, following news that the US economy shed a staggering 598,000 jobs last month.
“Because if we don’t move swiftly to put this plan in motion, our economic crisis could become a national catastrophe,” Obama said.
His Indiana visit, to be followed by a trip to Florida today, underscored Obama’s determination to drum up support in the country at large for a stimulus package that looks set to top US$800 billion.
The Democratic-led Senate was expected yesterday to decide on a key procedural motion to override Republican blocking tactics and put the package to a full vote, possibly today.
The Democrats control 58 votes in the Senate and need 60 to break through a Republican “filibuster.” They appear to have the support of at least three Republican moderates — Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe and Arlen Specter.
Despite the outlines of a compromise brokered with the help of the centrist Republicans, senior opposition senators were adamant that Obama’s mix of infrastructure spending and tax cuts would prove a massive waste of money.
“We are going down a road to financial disaster. We’ll pay dearly,” Richard Shelby, the top Republican on the Senate’s banking committee, told CNN Sunday.
“Until we straighten out our banking system ... this economy is going to continue to tank,” the Alabama senator said.
Administration officials said on Sunday that just such a program to revive the stricken banking industry and housing market would be presented today by US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner.
National Economic Council director Larry Summers said US$350 billion remaining from the Troubled Asset Relief Program would prise open credit markets and include at least US$50 billion for housing.
The funds were freed up when former president George W. Bush in October signed a bill authorizing US$700 billion to buy up distressed mortgage securities and other complex financial instruments.
Instead however, then-treasury secretary Henry Paulson injected about half of the funds directly into struggling banks, with few conditions on how the money was to be spent or accounted for.
The Obama administration has promised tighter controls, including limits on executive pay.
The New York Times yesterday reported that Geithner’s plan to save the foundering US banking system would rely on investors in hedge funds, private equity funds and other financial institutions buying the contaminated assets that wiped out the capital of many banks.
The newspaper, citing unnamed officials, reported that under the plan, the US government would guarantee a floor value for the assets as a way to overcome investors’ reluctance to buy them.
FORCED LABOR: Customs officials have seized a 11.8 tonne shipment of products made from human hair on suspicion they were produced by people facing human rights abuses Federal authorities in New York City on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officials said that 11.8 tonnes of hair products worth an estimated US$800,000 were in the shipment. “The production of these goods constitutes a very serious human rights violation, and the detention order is intended to send a clear and direct message to all entities seeking to do business with the United States that illicit and inhumane practices will not be tolerated in
JUST QUESTIONS: Expelled reporter Ai Kezhu said that every member of Southeast Television had complied with the law and had not appeared on any talk shows Two Chinese reporters yesterday left Taiwan after the government revoked their accreditation and ordered them to leave amid a probe into allegations that several Chinese media outlets have set up studios and produced political talk shows in Taiwan. The two reporters — Ai Kezhu (艾珂竹) and Lu Qiang (盧薔) — worked for Fujian Province-based Southeast Television and arrived in Taiwan in December last year. The Mainland Affairs Council has launched an investigation after local media reported that Chinese broadcasters — including China Central Television, Southeast Television and FJTV — had set up studios in Taipei and produced political talk shows. Council Deputy Minister
UPTICK IN NUMBERS: The Taipei deputy mayor said the city has services to assist new immigrants, but has established an office specifically to help those from Hong Kong The Taiwan-Hong Kong Services and Exchanges Office today officially opens, where it is to provide humanitarian assistance to Hong Kongers, after Beijing yesterday passed a controversial national security law for the territory. President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) expressed dismay over China’s passage of the law, saying that Beijing has broken its pledge to allow Hong Kong to maintain a high degree of autonomy for at least 50 years following its handover from the UK. “I feel extremely disappointed [about the law’s passage], which means China did not keep its promise to Hong Kong,” Tsai said in Taipei. Beijing’s “broken promise” also
‘BASELESS ACCUSATIONS’: Ker Chien-ming said it was not possible to drop Chen Chu’s nomination, while KMT lawmakers accused their DPP rivals of ‘homicidal behavior’ The Legislative Yuan is to vote on President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) nominations for the Control Yuan on July 17 after Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislators regained access to the legislative chamber yesterday after it was occupied by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers for about 19 hours. The Legislative Yuan had been scheduled to meet yesterday morning to discuss its planned extraordinary session, but more than 20 KMT lawmakers on Sunday afternoon broke into the main chamber and occupied the legislative speaker’s podium to protest Tsai’s nomination of former Presidential Office secretary-general Chen Chu (陳菊) to be Control Yuan president. The KMT caucus