The US blinked in two symbolic stare-downs with Russia, but Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Moscow was not back in global good graces four months after it invaded a small, US-backed neighbor.
Rice and other NATO foreign ministers agreed on Tuesday to gradually resume talks with Russia that were frozen after the brief war in Georgia. As expected, the US also bowed to European and Russian opposition and agreed to shelve any quick plans to invite Georgia and Ukraine into the NATO alliance.
The chief US diplomat, summing up her last session with NATO colleagues, said the alliance was unified in rejecting the Russian invasion and insisted that Moscow had paid a price.
She and other US officials minimized differences with Europe over the best strategy to deal with Russian ambitions in Europe.
“I don’t think this is in any way business as usual,” Rice told reporters.
Rice then gave some bullet points. Russia, she said, had failed to topple the Georgian government or flatten its economy and failed to rally mainstream support for its position that two breakaway Georgian regions deserve recognition as independent states.
Although Russian forces remain in those regions, despite objections from the US and other countries, Russia should not assume the world is complacent, Rice said.
“What it’s gotten Russia is a lot of scrutiny,” she said.
The NATO-Russia talks will resume at a low level, the NATO ministers said.
Immediately after Russian forces moved on Georgia, Washington led the initiative to freeze the NATO-Russia Council.
The forum had provided a setting for regular meetings of Russian and alliance foreign ministers. Several European allies are pushing for a return to talks with Moscow.
As the US wanted, the ministers restated a decision taken in April that Georgia and Ukraine could one day join NATO despite Russia’s strong opposition.
They agreed to step up military and political assistance to help the two countries prepare, but stopped short of granting them a formal “membership action plan” considered a key step toward joining the Western alliance.
That kicks the largest questions about the US approach to Russia to the incoming administration of president-elect Barack Obama.
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very