At least 20 people were killed and 21 hurt in an accident on a Russian nuclear submarine in the Sea of Japan, the navy said yesterday, the worst such incident since the Kursk disaster.
The nuclear reactor that powers the submarine was undamaged in the accident and background radiation levels in the vicinity of the accident in a Russian naval testing zone were “normal,” a naval spokesman said.
“During sea trials of a nuclear-powered submarine of the Pacific Fleet the firefighting system went off unsanctioned, killing more than 20 people, including servicemen and workers,” said Captain Igor Dygalo, the navy’s spokesman.
The RIA Novosti news agency said the submarine was undergoing sea trials in preparation for delivery to India’s navy but this was not confirmed by officials.
The victims included both servicemen and shipyard workers aboard the submarine for sea trials, Dygalo said. ITAR-TASS news agency said the dead included six sailors and 14 civilians.
The injured were evacuated from the stricken submarine aboard an accompanying ship and were taken to a hospital on shore where they were being treated, ITAR-TASS and RIA Novosti quoted officials as saying.
A source with the Pacific Fleet’s hospital in Vladivostok said that the 21 injured people evacuated from the submarine aboard a destroyer were suffering various degrees of poisoning.
Other sources, who requested anonymity, said an additional 20 people with less serious poisoning were being treated aboard another ship, the Sayany, which was escorting the submarine.
The accident occurred on Saturday and Dygalo said Russian President Dmitry Medvedev had been briefed on the situation by Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov and had ordered a “full and meticulous” investigation.
Dygalo did not identify the submarine involved and did not explain how the accidental activation of the ship’s fire extinguishing system resulted in the casualties.
However, a source in the Amur shipyard administration named the submarine as the K-152 Nerpa, a nuclear-powered submarine of the Project 971 Shchuka-B type, or Akula-class by NATO classification, the RIA Novosti news agency reported.
RIA Novosti said the Nerpa was undergoing sea trials in the Russian part of the Japanese Sea.
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very