The US administration on Monday sidestepped questions about whether president-elect Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) would be permitted to visit Washington before his inauguration in May, while some sources said that Ma may already have sparked a diplomatic incident by expressing his wish to visit Washington before informing the US or the Ministry of Foreign affairs beforehand.
"There are no plans for a visit," the office of the spokesman of the US National Security Council, an arm of the White House, told reporters on Monday.
Earlier, both White House spokesman Dana Perino and US State Department spokesman Sean McCormack were asked about a possible Ma visit. Both said they had no information about it. Later, a NSC spokesman said that no visit had been planned.
Taiwan's top representative in Washington, Joseph Wu (
"If the request is made by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, or if Mr Ma has approached the ministry to make the request of the US side, TECRO [the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office, which Wu heads] will work on it. But so far, we have not received any instructions from Taipei," Wu told the Taipei Times in an interview.
Wu said he had not consulted US officials about the visit, but was confident that the State Department had not received an official request.
Some sources said Ma's expression of interest in visiting Washington may already have violated important diplomatic niceties by not consulting the ministry or making a formal request.
They said that China would likely strongly oppose such a visit, creating a foreign policy dilemma for the Bush administration, which has sought rapprochement with China.
Even after leaving office, former president Lee Teng-hui's (李登輝) trips to Japan and the US continued to draw Beijing's ire, sources said.
A visit by Ma to coordinate US-Taiwan relations, even ahead of his inauguration, would elicit a similar response from Beijing, sources in Washington said.
Nevertheless, some Taiwan supporters in the US felt that a Ma visit would be a good thing, allowing for a face-to-face meeting to iron out problems that could arise during his term.
CAUTION URGED: Strong winds and heavy rain are forecast throughout the nation, even though the CWB was not sure whether the eye would make landfall in Taiwan The Central Weather Bureau (CWB) yesterday issued a land warning for Typhoon Chanthu, as it continued to gain power while approaching Taiwan from the southeast. As of 8pm last night, Chanthu was about 410km southeast of Pingtung County’s Oluanpi (鵝鑾鼻), the southernmost point of Taiwan proper, moving northwest at 15kph toward the Bashi Channel. The typhoon had maximum sustained winds of 209kph, with gusts of up to 263kph, bureau data showed. Chanthu, which is likely to come closest to the nation over the weekend, could pose a threat throughout Taiwan proper, but particularly in Taitung and Pingtung, the bureau said. Strong winds and heavy
CLOSED FOR DISINFECTION: Two of the three local cases were linked to a cluster infection at a kindergarten, while the other case works at a McDonald’s restaurant The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported three new local COVID-19 infections and 11 imported cases, but no deaths. The local cases are two men and a woman aged between 20 and 80 who reside in Taipei, New Taipei City and Taoyuan, the CECC said in a news release. Two of them are linked to a cluster infection at a kindergarten in New Taipei City’s Banciao District (板橋), said Centers for Disease Control Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥), who is the CECC’s spokesman. He said they are both associated with the mother of a kindergarten student, who was earlier confirmed to have
BIOLOGICAL AGENT: A containment exercise was held in southern Tainan, in response to a mock assault where troops were assumed to be attacked by bioweapons The live-fire component of this year’s annual Han Kuang military exercises, Taiwan’s major war games involving all military branches, began yesterday morning and is to run until Friday to test the armed forces’ capability to fend off a Chinese invasion. The 37th edition of the annual event officially began after the Ministry of National Defense’s Joint Operations Command Center, also known as the Hengshan Command Center, announced the initiation of the five-day live-fire drills. Yesterday’s drills were focused on testing the military’s preservation and maintenance of combat capabilities in the event of a full-scale Chinese invasion. As part of the drills, air force
‘RAISING TAIWAN’S VISIBILITY’: Premier Su Tseng-chang said changing TECRO’s name to include ‘Taiwan’ would make the representative office more recognizable The Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday declined comment on a Financial Times report that the name of Taiwan’s representative office in Washington might be changed, saying only that bolstering and upgrading ties with the US has been the government’s long-term objective. The ministry made the comments after the UK-based newspaper reported on that US President Joe Biden’s administration is considering allowing the government to use the word “Taiwan” in the office’s title. The US is “seriously considering a request from Taiwan to change the name of its mission in the US capital from ‘Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office’ [TECRO] to ‘Taiwan