China responded to what has become a public relations disaster ahead of the Olympic Games yesterday amid mounting pressure over its role in Darfur after US filmmaker Steven Spielberg severed his links to the Games.
Beijing expressed regret yesterday over Spielberg's decision, saying it was unacceptable to link politics to the Olympics.
Authorities also defended China's involvement with Sudan.
"We feel regret about his remarks," foreign ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao (
"Some people are attempting to link the Darfur issue with Chinese government policies in Sudan, even with the organization of the Olympics," he said. "If they don't know the Chinese policy, I can understand. But if they have got some objectives, especially political objectives, we cannot accept that."
Meanwhile, a letter published yesterday in London's Independent newspaper from Olympic athletes and Nobel Prize winners urged Chinese President Hu Jintao (胡錦濤) to pressure Sudan over Darfur.
"As the primary economic, military and political partner of the government of Sudan, and as a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council, China has both the opportunity and the responsibility to contribute to a just peace in Darfur," the letter said. "Ongoing failure to rise to this responsibility amounts, in our view, to support for a government that continues to carry out atrocities against its own people."
China's state-run media were largely silent yesterday about Spielberg's decision to pull out and the mounting pressure on Beijing over Darfur.
The media is required to follow the government line, with mandated blackouts reserved for the most sensitive of issues.
With less than six months to go before the Games, Darfur is one of just many blackspots that threaten to tarnish the Olympics.
Beijing's treatment of Tibet, its oppression of Taiwan internationally and the government's wide-ranging human rights abuses are among the other issues to have generated controversy.
Sudan's Olympic Committee expressed regret yesterday that Spielberg pulled out.
"We have always been against politics creeping into sport and we have never mixed the two," committee head and retired general Salah Mohammed Saleh said.
"Nothing harms the sporting spirit more than politics," he said.
Dignitaries from 47 countries yesterday congratulated President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on the commencement of her second term and highlighted Taiwan’s achievements in democracy and its response to the COVID-19 pandemic, after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo sent his congratulations a day earlier. As of noon yesterday, 263 high-ranking officials from 47 countries and global organizations had congratulated Tsai via statements, letters, social media posts or recorded footage, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said, while releasing a collection of footage sent by selected dignitaries. The governments of Taiwan’s 15 diplomatic allies sent their congratulations, as did the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy,
REASSURING NUMBERS: Taiwan’s test capacity ranks sixth or seventh among 91 nations, and is not low compared with other nations, Chen Shih-chung said The quarantine period for foreigners visiting Taiwan for business would vary based on the COVID-19 situation of the nation or territory that they are coming from, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported the 13th consecutive day of no new cases. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, told reporters at the center’s daily briefing that modified rules covering foreign business visitors had been completed and were ready for him to sign. The complete details of the new rules would be released later this week, he said. Foreigners on long business trips would have
IN PROTEST: The US’ top diplomat said the WHA had been deprived of Taiwan’s scientific expertise, while Tsai said political factors should not be put above health US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo on Monday condemned Taiwan’s exclusion from the World Health Assembly (WHA), while President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday lodged a strong protest against the WHO for not inviting Taiwan. Twenty-two nations voiced support for Taiwan’s bid for participation on the first day of the assembly’s two-day virtual meeting, but despite the global community’s unprecedentedly strong support for Taiwan, it remained blocked from the assembly, with WHO member states on Monday agreeing to delay discussion on Taiwan until later this year. Pompeo, who on May 6 urged WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus to invite Taiwan to the WHA,
The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced no new cases of COVID-19, adding that a ban on mask exports would be lifted soon under three conditions. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that 401 people from among the nation’s 440 confirmed cases have been removed from isolation. Yesterday was the 12th consecutive day that no new cases of COVID-19 were reported in Taiwan, and the 37th day of no new domestic cases. “As our local communities have gradually become safe, we should not become careless,” Chen said. “We should continue to take personal protective measures