The US House of Representatives early yesterday approved more money for the Pentagon but not the Iraq War, but Democrats signaled plans to resume a more contentious debate over the war after this month's recess.
The defense appropriations bill passed by the House 395-13 provides US$459.6 billion for the Pentagon for the fiscal year starting Oct. 1 and maps out spending priorities.
The Senate is not scheduled to vote on the defense spending bill until this fall.
The House's version would add money for equipment for the National Guard and Reserve, provide for 12,000 additional soldiers and Marines, and increase spending for defense health care and military housing.
The massive military measure represents a nearly US$40 billion increase over current levels.
But it was US$3.5 billion less than US President George W. Bush requested. The White House has criticized many provisions but stopped short of a veto threat.
The budget does not include an extra US$147 billion in Iraq War funds that the administration wants Congress to approve this autumn, around the time US Iraq commander General David Petraeus reports to lawmakers on the war.
More than US$600 billion in war checks have already been written for Iraq and Afghanistan.
The bill strikes US$139 million from a missile defense project the Bush administration plans for Eastern Europe.
House aides said the cut would prevent construction on a missile interceptor site in Poland, the most controversial part of the project, which has angered the Russian government.
The spending bill provides funding for an additional 7,000 Army soldiers -- bringing the total to 489,000 -- and 5,000 Marines, raising them to 180,000.
It also provides for improved health care for soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.
It was one of the last bills lawmakers approved in a late-night session before joining the Senate on recess and followed days of partisan bickering over House rules, exacerbated by little sleep.
Also see story:
House passes bill to cut gas emissions
‘HERO OF THE ERA’: President Tsai Ing-wen expressed deep sadness at Lee’s passing, and told the government to assist his family with all their needs Former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) passed away at 7:24pm yesterday at Taipei Veterans General Hospital. He was 97 years old. The hospital stated the cause of death as septic shock and multiple organ failure. Lee had been hospitalized there since February, when he choked on a mouthful of milk at home. He was later diagnosed with pulmonary infiltrates and aspiration pneumonia. The hospital said that Lee had been treated with antibiotics, but that his health had not improved, as his advanced age and diabetes had inhibited his immune system and led to recurring infections. During his hospitalization, Lee underwent daily kidney dialysis, which removed
RECEIVING TREATMENT: President Tsai Ing-wen, Vice President William Lai and Premier Su Tseng-chang visited former president Lee Teng-hui yesterday morning Taipei Veterans General Hospital yesterday rebutted speculation that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had died a day earlier, saying that he was weak, but receiving treatment. The hospital said the 97-year-old Lee was not in good condition and needed ongoing care, adding that if there are any changes in his condition, it would make those public. The comments came after rumors emerged online on Tuesday that Lee had died after being hospitalized since early February. Soon after the unsubstantiated rumors emerged, reporters started flocking to the hospital seeking confirmation. Lee was admitted to Taipei Veterans General Hospital on Feb. 8 after choking while drinking
‘WEAK POSITIVE’: The man arrived in Taiwan in May and was quarantined for two weeks, Chen Shih-chung said, adding that he might be infected a long time ago The government is considering tightening mask-wearing rules again in light of a potential domestic COVID-19 infection, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) confirmed seven new COVID-19 cases, six of which are imported. The other case involves a Belgian engineer who entered Taiwan on May 3 and remained in quarantine until May 17, said Chen, who heads the CECC. Although the source of infection has yet to be identified, the case could end the nation’s record of not having any domestic cases in the previous 110 days. The Belgian, in his 20s, is a technician
THAI CASE UPDATE: Twenty-nine close contacts of the worker have been tested with two types of tests, including 18 dorm mates, with 28 negative results so far Five imported cases of COVID-19, four from the Philippines and one from Hong Kong, were reported yesterday, bringing the total confirmed cases in Taiwan to 467, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday. The four returning from the Philippines were on the same flight, and the local health department has identified 15 people who had direct contact with them — including 10 passengers in the two rows in front or behind them, who have been put under 14-day home isolation, and five crew members, who will practice 14-day self-health management, said Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang