Rescue crews pulled dozens of bodies yesterday from an airliner that crashed and burst into flames at a Sao Paulo airport, as the number of people feared dead rose to 195 in what would be Brazil's worst air disaster.
The Tam Linhas Aereas (TAM) Airbus-320 was en route to Brazil's busiest airport from Porto Alegre in the nation's south on Tuesday when it skidded on the rain-slicked runway, barreled across a busy road and slammed into a gas station and TAM building.
Yesterday the airline raised the number of people aboard the plane by four to 180 and officials said the chance of finding survivors was near zero.
Sixty-six badly charred bodies had been pulled from the wreckage, Globo News TV reported.
A Sao Paulo public safety official who spoke on condition of anonymity because of department policy said 15 bodies had been recovered from the ground.
Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva declared three days of national mourning following the nation's second major air disaster in less than a year.
Last September, a Gol Aerolinhas Inteligentes SA Boeing 737 and an executive jet collided over the Amazon rain forest, killing 154 people.
Emergency workers had earlier recovered the TAM airliner's "black box" flight data recorder, according to the Web site of O Estado de Sao Paulo newspaper.
Presidential spokesman Marcelo Baumbach said no cause would be immediately released because it was premature to do so.
The runway at Sao Paulo's Congonhas airport has been repeatedly criticized for its short length, and two planes slipped off it in rainy weather just a day earlier, though no one was injured in either incident.
The airport is ringed by heavily populated neighborhoods.
The TAM flight was landing on Congonhas' 1,939m long Runway 35, which was recently resurfaced but not grooved, which would provide better breaking in rainy conditions.
There were plans to regroove the surface by the end of this month.
Because of its short length, Congonhas is known among pilots as the "aircraft carrier." They are instructed to touch down in the first 300m of runway, or do a go-around if they overshoot the immediate landing zone.
In France, Airbus said it was sending five specialists to Brazil to help investigate the crash.
The company will provide "full technical assistance" to France's bureau for accident investigations and to Brazilian authorities.
The single-aisle, twin-engine plane, delivered in 1998, had logged about 20,000 flight hours in some 9,300 flights, Airbus said.
Eyewitness Elias Rodrigues Jesus, a TAM worker, said he was walking near the site when he saw the jet explode in between a gas station and a Tam building.
"All of a sudden I heard a loud explosion, and the ground beneath my feet shook," Jesus said. "I looked up and I saw a huge ball of fire, and then I smelled the stench of kerosene and sulfur."
Sao Paulo state Governor Jose Serra said the hopes of finding any survivors in the plane "are practically nil," since the temperature inside the plane reached 1,000oC.
TAM flight 3054 was en route to Sao Paulo with 170 passengers and six crew members, the company said in a statement.
A Brazilian federal court in February of this year briefly banned takeoffs and landings of three types of large jets at the airport because of safety concerns at Congonhas airport, which handles huge volumes of flights for the massive domestic Brazilian air travel market.
But an appeals court overruled the ban, saying it was too harsh because it would have severe economic ramifications, and that there were not enough safety concerns to prevent the planes from landing and taking off at the airport.
BRIBERY CASE: President Tsai Ing-wen accepted Su Jia-chyuan’s resignation as he said that he deeply regretted causing trouble for the president due to the investigation Presidential Office Secretary-General Su Jia-chyuan (蘇嘉全) yesterday resigned after his nephew, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Su Chen-ching (蘇震清), was implicated in a bribery case related to a dispute over the ownership of Pacific Sogo Department Store (太平洋崇光百貨). “I resigned from the post so that President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) would not be bothered by it anymore, and the prosecutors can investigate the case in a fair and just manner. I thank President Tsai once again for supporting me. May the country continue to prosper under her leadership,” Su Jia-chyuan said in a statement. The Presidential Office said that Tsai has accepted
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would
‘CROSS-STRAIT CONSIDERATIONS’: Groups said that the Ministry of Education’s policies excluded Chinese and students should not be blocked over political issues The Taiwan International Student Movement yesterday said it would protest today outside the Ministry of Education in Taipei against a policy that excludes some Chinese students from returning to Taiwan amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Since June 17, the ministry has allowed foreign students from 19 “low risk” and “medium-low risk” countries and regions to enter Taiwan. On July 22, it announced that it was relaxing restrictions to include students from all countries and regions who are graduating this semester and on Wednesday it further expanded entry to students enrolled in degree programs. A letter sent by the ministry on Wednesday to universities did
The military last week sent “no small number” of Marine Corps officers to the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Island, 東沙群島) following reports of a Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) drill targeting the islands scheduled for this month. In an interview with Hong Kong’s Bauhinia Magazine published on Saturday last week, PLA National Defense University professor Li Daguang (李大光) confirmed that the Chinese army was planning to stage a simulated invasion of the Pratas Islands in the South China Sea this month. The islands comprise three atolls, with Pratas Island, at 1.74km2, being the largest. They lie southwest of Taiwan proper in the South