Insurgents have infiltrated Iraq's police force, but the extent to which they have done so remains unclear, Iraq's national security advisor Muwaffaq Rubaie said on Tuesday.
"Our Iraqi security forces in general, police in particular, in many parts of Iraq, I have to admit, have been penetrated by some of the insurgents, some of the terrorists as well," he told BBC television. "I can't deny this."
Rubaie's remarks came a day after British troops stormed a police station in the southern city of Basra, looking for two soldiers later found and freed from a house where they had been taken from a police cell by militiamen.
The incident triggered concern about collusion between the Iraqi police and militiamen, as the US and UK -- which invaded Iraq in March 2003 -- wonder how much longer they will need to maintain a military presence.
Rubaie said Iraq's interim government was putting into place "a very scrupulous, very meticulous vetting procedure" as it recruits new members of the police and armed forces.
It should, he said, "clean our security forces as well as stop any penetration in future from the insurgents and terrorists."
He added: "I can't give you a percentage of the extent of the penetration, but I have to admit that the Iraqi security forces are penetrated. To what extent I don't know."
The UK said yesterday that it would not cut and run from Iraq, and sought to calm fury in an increasingly volatile south over the rescue of the two undercover British soldiers.
The British operation followed rioting that began, according to police and local officials, when the two soldiers fired on a police patrol. At least two Iraqis were killed in the violence.
"We do not have designs to stay [in Iraq] as an occupying imperial power. Nor are we going to cut and run because of terrorists," British Defense Secretary John Reid was quoted as saying by the Daily Telegraph newspaper.
Reid, echoing past comments by British Prime Minister Tony Blair who has been US President George W. Bush's main ally on Iraq, said the transformation of the country into a democratic society would not be accomplished without great effort.
"Which is why we have to stay there and go through the dark periods ... there is light at the end of the tunnel," he said.
The UK, which has 8,500 troops in Iraq, said on Sunday it would send more if necessary. But a leaked memo signed by Reid in July envisioned bringing most home over the next year.
The Telegraph said Reid and British defense chiefs were to meet Iraqi Prime Minister Ibrahim Jaafari in London yesterday to discuss security issues.
Haider al-Ebadi, an adviser to Jaafari, told a news conference in Baghdad on Tuesday: "It is a very unfortunate development that the British forces should try to release their forces the way it happened."
But a later statement from Jaafari's office said there was no crisis in relations with Britain and added the interior ministry was investigating the incident in the south, largely populated by Iraq's Shiite Muslim majority.
"In the meantime we urge all sides to remain calm," the statement said.
Meanwhile roadside bombs exploded near three US convoys in and around Baghdad yesterday, wounding two soldiers, an official said. The attacks came one day after the death toll for US forces in the Iraq war rose to more than 1,900 since the invasion.
In the southern city of Basra, two Iraqi citizens who were wounded in clashes between British forces and Iraqi police died in a hospital yesterday, raising the civilian death toll to five, police said.
About 500 Iraqi civilians and policemen protested outside Basra police headquarters yesterday.
"No to occupation!" the demonstrators shouted. Others carried banners condemning "British aggression" and demanding the freed soldiers be tried in an Iraqi court as "terrorists."
In the worst attack on US forces yesterday, a roadside bomb exploded as a US military convoy drove through the Abu Ghraib area on the western outskirts of Baghdad, leaving two soldiers with minor wounds, said US Lieutenant Jamie Davis, a spokesman for the US army.
Iraqi police First Lieutenant Mohammed Khayon said the US forces then opened fire on people in the area, wounding an Iraqi civilian, but Davis couldn't confirm that.
Roadside bombs also exploded yesterday near two other US convoys in southwestern Baghdad and in the Taji area north of the capital. No soldiers were wounded, Davis said.
‘HERO OF THE ERA’: President Tsai Ing-wen expressed deep sadness at Lee’s passing, and told the government to assist his family with all their needs Former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) passed away at 7:24pm yesterday at Taipei Veterans General Hospital. He was 97 years old. The hospital stated the cause of death as septic shock and multiple organ failure. Lee had been hospitalized there since February, when he choked on a mouthful of milk at home. He was later diagnosed with pulmonary infiltrates and aspiration pneumonia. The hospital said that Lee had been treated with antibiotics, but that his health had not improved, as his advanced age and diabetes had inhibited his immune system and led to recurring infections. During his hospitalization, Lee underwent daily kidney dialysis, which removed
‘WEAK POSITIVE’: The man arrived in Taiwan in May and was quarantined for two weeks, Chen Shih-chung said, adding that he might be infected a long time ago The government is considering tightening mask-wearing rules again in light of a potential domestic COVID-19 infection, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) confirmed seven new COVID-19 cases, six of which are imported. The other case involves a Belgian engineer who entered Taiwan on May 3 and remained in quarantine until May 17, said Chen, who heads the CECC. Although the source of infection has yet to be identified, the case could end the nation’s record of not having any domestic cases in the previous 110 days. The Belgian, in his 20s, is a technician
RECEIVING TREATMENT: President Tsai Ing-wen, Vice President William Lai and Premier Su Tseng-chang visited former president Lee Teng-hui yesterday morning Taipei Veterans General Hospital yesterday rebutted speculation that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had died a day earlier, saying that he was weak, but receiving treatment. The hospital said the 97-year-old Lee was not in good condition and needed ongoing care, adding that if there are any changes in his condition, it would make those public. The comments came after rumors emerged online on Tuesday that Lee had died after being hospitalized since early February. Soon after the unsubstantiated rumors emerged, reporters started flocking to the hospital seeking confirmation. Lee was admitted to Taipei Veterans General Hospital on Feb. 8 after choking while drinking
THAI CASE UPDATE: Twenty-nine close contacts of the worker have been tested with two types of tests, including 18 dorm mates, with 28 negative results so far Five imported cases of COVID-19, four from the Philippines and one from Hong Kong, were reported yesterday, bringing the total confirmed cases in Taiwan to 467, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday. The four returning from the Philippines were on the same flight, and the local health department has identified 15 people who had direct contact with them — including 10 passengers in the two rows in front or behind them, who have been put under 14-day home isolation, and five crew members, who will practice 14-day self-health management, said Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang