A civic group urged the government yesterday to take action to dissuade children and teenagers from using mobile phones because of health concerns.
The Taiwan Electromagnetic Radiation Hazard Protection and Control Association (TEPCA) presented results of a survey on child and teenager cellphone use, along with information about the levels of electromagnetic radiation produced by cellphones marketed in Taiwan.
The survey, conducted last month and this month among children and teens aged six to 18, found that 34.4 percent of polled elementary school students, 67 percent of junior high school students and 89.6 percent of senior high school students used cellphones.
Based on the survey, the association, a non-governmental organization promoting legislation to restrict the impact of electromagnetic radiation on public health, estimated that around 2.2 million children and teenagers nationwide have their own mobile phones.
The survey also found that the older respondents talked longer on the phone, estimating that 390,000 young cellphone users speak on the phone for at least five minutes per call on average and 170,000 speak for more than 10 minutes per call.
Meanwhile, tests on the electromagnetic radiation levels of 33 types of mobile phones showed that more than 60 percent of the handsets emitted electromagnetic radiation 1 million times higher than the background level, or general exposure level to electromagnetic fields.
The association said that many industrialized countries have advised children, teenagers and pregnant women to refrain from using cellphones.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a