Time was when Japan Inc shunned the heady world of corporate raiders as a vulture club anathema to the country's consensus culture.
When stomached at all, Japanese takeovers typically preyed on foreigners, most notoriously gobbling up US icons like Firestone, 7-Eleven and Columbia Pictures.
But in a sign of new openness in the world's second-largest economy, merger mania has gripped the country and homegrown firms are now among the hunted as well as the hunters.
PHOTO: EPA
Merger and acquisition activity in Japan hit an all time high of 2,775 deals last year, compared with just 260 in 1985. Now, from board rooms to living rooms, Emu ando eh, as M&A are known, has entered common parlance and is upending business as usual.
"Definitely, we are in a merger boom," said Akihiro Watanabe, a partner at the Tokyo-based M&A consultancy GCA Co. "The psychological barriers are falling down."
Investors and business leaders expect the next surge to begin on Tuesday, when a new law takes effect making it easier for foreign companies to buy Japanese rivals through swapping shares, something all but barred in the past.
Foreshadowing the change, a TV show called Hagetaka, or "Vultures," aired earlier this year dramatizing a fictional US investment fund's drive to revive a hapless Japanese bank through unforgiving Western-style reforms.
The program was an unexpected hit. But Japan's grudging acceptance of takeovers as a cutthroat reality of everyday business has been fitful at best.
Takeovers have long been frowned upon in a country that shuns heated showdowns and prizes consensual management. So as not to stigmatize the seller as the "loser," parties typically paint the buyout as a merger of equals.
"The traditional view of your company is that it's your child, and you would never sell your child. But now that attitude is slowly changing," said David Snow, editor of Private Equity International, a specialty publication tracking global deals.
In late 2005, toymaker Takara Co launched a board game called "Game of Life M&A" to tap growing public fascination with the trend. But it pulled the product last year after its chief inspiration, freewheeling entrepreneur Takafumi Horie, was arrested for accounting fraud at Internet firm Livedoor Co, a former darling of the M&A crowd.
Even the merger law taking effect next month was delayed for a year by lawmakers so Japanese companies had time to ready takeover defenses like so-called "poison pills," measures that weaken share prices and make the company less attractive to unwanted suitors.
The new law allows overseas businesses to buy Japanese ones by swapping shares in a domestic subsidiary. That should lighten the load of having to pay cash, as nearly all foreign companies had to do before.
Analysts, bankers and even the government say fresh blood is badly needed.
After slogging through Japan's decade-long slowdown, many Japanese companies are weakened to the point of requiring outside help to restore profits.
Direct foreign investment in Japan amounted to merely 2.1 percent of the country's gross domestic product in 2003, compared with 22 percent in the US and 38 percent in Britain. The government now wants to double the amount of foreign investment by 2010.
Back in 1990, Japanese takeovers of foreign businesses accounted for 61 percent of all M&A activity in the country. That dwindled to just 15 percent last year, said Recof, a market research company based in Tokyo.
The tumble was offset by a surge in domestic deals, which now account for 78 percent and a rise in foreign buyouts of distressed Japanese assets.
The 2,775 M&A deals in Japan last year were but a fraction of 13,691 in the US and 14,702 in Europe, Thomson Financial said. GCA's Watanabe expects the Japanese M&A market to quadruple in the next five to 10 years.
But important milestones are already being chalked.
Just last year, Japan witnessed its first-ever hostile takeover attempt between domestic blue chips when Oji Paper Co tried but failed to buy Hokuetsu Paper Mills.
Also turning heads was Japan's biggest takeover of a foreign firm -- Japan Tobacco's US$15 billion buyout of Britain's Gallaher Group, a deal finalized this month.
Perhaps the biggest watershed was US-based Citigroup's tender offer bid for Japanese brokerage Nikko Cordial. That offer, which runs through on Thursday and is valued at up to US$13.4 billion, would be the largest-ever foreign takeover of a Japanese company.
Today, all the big private equity firms, including Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co, Permira and the Carlyle Group, have offices in Japan. Yet, some still gets a vulture's reception.
When the US investment fund Steel Partners announced in February it wanted to take a controlling 66 percent stake in Sapporo Holdings, one of Japan's biggest breweries, the initial response was an emphatic "No."
In an ironic twist, Sapporo and archrival Asahi Breweries Ltd even bandied the idea of a capital tie-up to block the overseas interloper. That fell through and Sapporo has since bolstered its poison pill ramparts as it stalls for time.
Shareholders may be the final arbiter of whether Japan further warms to M&A. After years of suffering interest rates close to zero, average Japanese have entered the stock market by the droves for the first time seeking higher returns.
Unlike the old boy networks that tied up shares between conglomerates and were oft vilified for perpetuating the cozy status quo of Japan's loss-making "zombie" companies, the new breed of private investor has its eyes on profits.
In a nod to the trend, Citigroup boosted its offer for Nikko by 26 percent, after some market players said the first bid was too low.
"You now have shareholders who are willing to listen because they are economically motivated,'' said Scott Callon, chief executive of Ichigo Asset Management in Tokyo. "They'll give it a hard look."
A signaling system malfunction disrupted high-speed rail (HSR) services beginning at 8am today, with trains temporarily reduced to three northbound and three southbound trains per hour as authorities conduct inspections. The malfunction occurred on a section of track in Miaoli County during pre-operation checks early this morning, forcing northbound and southbound trains to use a single track, the HSR operator said. The regular schedule has been replaced with three hourly trains offering only nonreserved seating in each direction, stopping at every station, it said, adding that business class cars would still have reserved seating. Departures from terminal stations are scheduled at the top
Taiwan is still in the process of assessing the possibility of recruiting workers from Eswatini, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday, adding that its goal is to help Eswatini upgrade its vocational training centers. If there are plans to recruit workers from Eswatini, safeguarding national security, protecting public health and ensuring the employment rights of Taiwanese would be prerequisites, Department of West Asian and African Affairs Director-General Yen Chia-liang (顏嘉良) told a news conference. Key considerations would also include filling labor shortages in specific industries, and fostering bilateral professional and technical exchanges, he said. Yen was asked about the progress of labor
VERBOSE VESSELS: A CGA cutter and a China Coast Guard exchanged verbal barbs for more than a day in Taiwanese-controlled waters before the Chinese vessel left The Taiwanese and Chinese coast guards had a standoff near the strategically located Pratas Islands (Dongsha Islands, 東沙群島) in the north of the South China Sea, the Coast Guard Administration (CGA) said yesterday. The two sides engaged in intense radio exchanges over sovereignty claims during the 33-hour standoff. China Coast Guard vessel 3501 eventually left the restricted waters, 26.6 nautical miles (49.2km) west of the Pratas Islands, at 5pm yesterday, the CGA said. Lying approximately between southern Taiwan and Hong Kong, the Taiwan-controlled Pratas are seen by some security experts as vulnerable to Chinese attack due to their distance — more than
WARNING: China should stop engaging in actions that undermine regional peace and stability, as it would only build resentment among people across the Strait, the CGA said China has deployed more than 100 navy, coast guard and other vessels in waters from the Yellow Sea to the South China Sea and the western Pacific since US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) met in Beijing, National Security Council Secretary-General Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) said yesterday. “In this part of the world, #China is the one & only PROBLEM wrecking the #StatusQuo & threatening regional peace & stability,” Wu wrote on X. In a separate post, he said Beijing was coercing Taiwan’s maritime domain, calling it illegal and provocative, after the Coast Guard Administration (CGA) expelled a