Britain’s Tesco, the world’s No. 3 retailer, has launched a strategic review of its loss-making US chain Fresh & Easy that could lead to a sale or closure of the business.
Announcing the review alongside a third-quarter trading update that showed the continued pressure on Tesco’s home market, the group said it would report the findings of the review when it issues full-year results in April.
It said all options were under consideration for the business and it has appointed Greenhill & Co to assist in the review.
Tesco said it has had a number of approaches from parties interested in acquiring either all or part of Fresh & Easy, or in partnering with the firm. It added that Fresh & Easy CEO Tim Mason is leaving Tesco after 30 years with the group.
The 200-store Fresh & Easy chain, having absorbed nearly £1 billion (US$1.6 billion) in capital since its 2007 launch, remains stubbornly loss-making in the cutthroat US grocery market and Tesco CEO Phil Clarke has been under increasing pressure from investors and analysts to act.
Its third-quarter underlying sales growth eased to 1.8 percent from the second quarter’s 6.9 percent.
The problems in the US compounded a tough trading environment in Britain and central Europe, which was partially offset by the stronger performance in Asia.
Tesco yesterday reported a return to falling quarterly underlying sales in its home market, raising questions over whether its £1 billion recovery plan is struggling to gain traction.
The firm, which takes about one in every £10 spent in British shops, said sales at UK stores open for more than a year, excluding gasoline and value-added taxes, were down 0.6 percent in the 13 weeks to Nov. 24, its fiscal third quarter.
That compares with analysts’ forecast range of a decline of 0.9 percent to an increase of 0.2 percent. Sales in the fiscal second quarter rose 0.1 percent, its first rise after 18 months of decline.
Shares of contract chipmaker Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) came under pressure yesterday after a report that Apple Inc is looking to shift some orders from the Taiwanese company to Intel Corp. TSMC shares fell NT$55, or 2.4 percent, to close at NT$2,235 on the local main board, Taiwan Stock Exchange data showed. Despite the losses, TSMC is expected to continue to benefit from sound fundamentals, as it maintains a lead over its peers in high-end process development, analysts said. “The selling was a knee-jerk reaction to an Intel-Apple report over the weekend,” Mega International Investment Services Corp (兆豐國際投顧) analyst Alex Huang
TRANSITION: With the closure, the company would reorganize its Taiwanese unit to a sales and service-focused model, Bridgestone said Bridgestone Corp yesterday announced it would cease manufacturing operations at its tire plant in Hsinchu County’s Hukou Township (湖口), affecting more than 500 workers. Bridgestone Taiwan Co (台灣普利司通) said in a statement that the decision was based on the Tokyo-based tire maker’s adjustments to its global operational strategy and long-term market development considerations. The Taiwanese unit would be reorganized as part of the closure, effective yesterday, and all related production activities would be concluded, the statement said. Under the plan, Bridgestone would continue to deepen its presence in the Taiwanese market, while transitioning to a sales and service-focused business model, it added. The Hsinchu
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) has approved a capital budget of US$31.28 billion for production expansion to meet long-term development needs during the artificial intelligence (AI) boom. The company’s board meeting yesterday approved the capital appropriation plan for purposes such as the installation of advanced technology capacity and fab construction, the world’s largest contract chipmaker said in a statement. At an earnings conference last month, TSMC forecast that its capital expenditure for this year would be at the higher end of the US$52 billion to US$56 billion range it forecast in January in response to robust demand for 5G, AI and
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co’s (TSMC, 台積電) investment project in Arizona has progressed better than expected, but it still faces challenges such as water and labor shortages, National Development Council (NDC) Minister Yeh Chun-hsien (葉俊顯) said yesterday. Speaking with reporters after visiting TSMC’s Arizona hub and attending the SelectUSA Investment Summit in Maryland last week, Yeh said TSMC’s Arizona site turned a profit of NT$16.14 billion (US$514 million) last year in its first full year of mass production. “TSMC told me it was surprised by the smooth trial run of the first fab, which has left the company optimistic about the project’s outlook,”