The Cabinet yesterday vowed to turn biotechnology into the country’s third “trillion-dollar industry” in 10 years, joining the semiconductor and flat-panel industries, which each generate more than NT$1 trillion (US$29.5 billion) a year in revenue.
“Biotechnology is a mainstream global industry that Taiwan can’t miss,” Minister Without Portfolio Chang Jin-fu (張進福) said at a press conference.
Under the plan, the Cabinet will initiate a fund-raising campaign to establish a NT$60 billion venture capital fund that would focus on biotechnology. The government’s National Development Fund will take a 40 percent stake and the remaining 60 percent will be controlled by the private sector.
The government hopes to raise initial capital of between NT$7.5 billion and NT$10 billion and attract another NT$80 billion from private sector.
“With the venture capital fund, [the government] will be taking a positive approach to seeking potential investments in bio-tech industries, including agricultural biotechnology. We hope to double the production value of the industry in four years,” Chang said.
Government data indicates that private-sector investment in biotechnology has shown signs of stagnating since exceeding NT$20 billion for the first time in 2001. Public-sector investment has averaged around NT$1.2 billion a year since then.
Chang said the country’s biotech sector was still budding, with a total production value of NT$130 billion per year and a total business volume of NT$200 billion in 2007.
The domestic biotech industry accounted for a small portion of the global market, Chang said.
The Executive Yuan said the global pharmaceutical industry was worth US$712 billion in 2007, while the medical device industry was worth US$194 billion.
Chang said the government would proceed with the plans to establish a medical device industry in Hsinchu and a pharmaceutical industry in Taipei City’s Nangang District (南港).
Polytronics Technology Corp (聚鼎科技) yesterday announced that it is buying Henkel AG’s thermal clad dielectric material (TCLAD) business division for US$26 million as the Taiwanese firm aims to improve its technology, product portfolio and revenue performance. Polytronics, headquartered in the Hsinchu Science Park (新竹科學園區), is a supplier of protection components and heat dissipation materials. The firm entered the metallic heat-dissipation substrate market in 2007 and developed a unique solventless production process. Its board of directors approved signing an agreement with Henkel to acquire the German chemical firm’s TCLAD division in the US. The purchase includes all assets and business interests, including equipment,
SIZE MATTERS: Medium-sized hotels that do not have the support of parent groups are more vulnerable and are forced to take action, a REPro Knight Frank researcher said About 50 hotels across Taiwan are seeking to exit the market as they succumb to the bleak business outlook amid international travel restrictions imposed to combat the COVID-19 pandemic. Yomi Hotel (優美飯店) on Minsheng E Road, Sec 1, in Taipei is seeking to transfer ownership with an asking price of NT$950 million (US$32.15 million) and a pledge for a lease contract that guarantees a 3 percent return. The budget hotel, with room rates that start from NT$1,400 per night, maintains normal operations, but has been struggling since March, when the government placed restrictions on inbound and outbound travel. Occupancy rates for hotels in
With the US dollar expected to weaken in the next 12 months due to near-zero interest rates, investors should consider purchasing US corporate bonds, Standard Chartered Bank Taiwan Ltd (渣打台灣銀行) said on Thursday. The bank said that the US Federal Reserve since last month has been buying bonds issued by US companies to curb default rates. The US dollar is forecast to be weaker against the pound, the euro and the yen, as well as the Canadian dollar, the Swedish krona and the Swiss franc, as the greenback lacks high investment returns after the Fed in March slashed the benchmark interest rate
A Bollywood actor’s face tattooed on his arm, Sandeep Bacche’s devotion shocks few in India where stars enjoy semi-divine status, but even there the hallowed silver screen might be losing its shine to streaming services and pandemic fears. “Whenever things get better and theaters begin operations, I will watch three movies a day for sure just as a way to celebrate,” said the Mumbai rickshaw driver, who is recovering from the virus himself. However, others might not join the party. With cinemas shut for months due to a COVID-19 lockdown, and little prospect they will reopen soon, frustrated Bollywood producers have turned to