A little-noticed clause in sweeping changes to Germany’s military service policy has triggered an uproar after it emerged that the law requires men aged up to 45 to get permission from the armed forces before any significant stay abroad, even in peacetime.
The legislation, which went into effect on Jan. 1 aims to bolster the military and demands all 18-year-old men fill out a questionnaire to gauge their suitability to serve in the armed forces, but stops short of conscription.
If the “modernized” model fails to pull in enough recruits, parliament will be compelled to discuss the reintroduction of compulsory service, German Minister of Defense Boris Pistorius said, as the legislation passed the lower house of the Bundestag in December.
Photo: EPA
The fine print, which went largely under the radar until a media report called attention to it on Friday, saying that men aged 17 to 45 would have to apply for authorization to leave Germany for more than three months.
The clause could potentially affect millions of German citizens embarking on anything from a gap year or study abroad to a new job or sabbatical.
It touched off agitated media coverage in a country where the changes to the military service policy have already led to street protests by school pupils subject to the law’s new requirements.
The Ministry of Defense confirmed the requirement first reported by the Frankfurter Rundschau newspaper.
A ministry spokesperson said the new legislation was designed to establish a framework for conscription if required, making it necessary to know potential conscripts’ whereabouts in case of urgent need.
“According to the wording of the law, males aged 17 and over are obliged to seek prior approval from the relevant Bundeswehr career center for stays abroad lasting longer than three months,” the spokesperson said.
The law stipulates that obligation ends at the age of 45.
The policy requires the authorization for permission to be abroad for a lengthy period even outside times of crisis, reviving a decades-old rule. However, the ministry said it remained largely without consequence for the men in question.
“The regulation already applied during the cold war and had no practical relevance; in particular, it is not subject to sanctions,” the spokesperson said.
The ministry did not say how many people had made a request for permission this year.
The spokesperson indicated that approval for periods abroad would be routine, as long as conscription was not in force and Germany was not facing a security emergency.
“We will clarify through administrative regulations that authorization is deemed to have been granted as long as military service is voluntary,” they said, adding: “As military service under current law is based exclusively on voluntary participation, such authorizations must, in principle, be granted.”
The spokesperson said there would be a wide berth for exceptions to the authorization requirement “partly to avoid unnecessary bureaucracy.”
However, it remained unclear what procedure men would need to use to gain permission before the eased regulations take effect or how long it would take.
The policy is intended to find enough volunteers to increase the ranks of the military to 460,000, consisting of 260,000 active soldiers and 200,000 reservists, by 2035. Germany has 182,000 active soldiers and just under 50,000 reservists.
Compulsory military service was suspended in 2011 under the then-German chancellor Angela Merkel.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz wants to create the strongest conventional army in Europe amid the increased threat from Russia, since its full-scale invasion of Ukraine, and doubts about US commitment to European security.
Last year, Germany exempted most defense expenditures from the country’s constitutional “debt brake.” It also earmarked more than 500 billion euros (US$578 billion) for defense from last year to 2029.
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
The researchers in Ireland looked at their computer screen, marveling at a medieval book tracked down in a Roman library. They flipped through its digitized pages and found their sought-after treasure: the oldest surviving English poem. “We were extremely surprised. We were speechless. We couldn’t believe our eyes when we first saw that,” said Elisabetta Magnanti, a visiting research fellow at Trinity College Dublin’s school of English. The poem was also within the main body of Latin text, she said, calling it “extraordinary.” Composed in Old English by a Northumbrian agricultural worker in the 7th century, Caedmon’s Hymn appears within some copies of