Members of an indigenous tribe who live deep in Peru’s Amazon rainforest and avoid contact with outsiders have been reported entering a neighboring village in what rights groups consider an alarming sign that the group is under stress from development.
The sightings of members of the Mashco Piro group come as a logging company is building a bridge that could give outsiders easier access to the group’s territory, a move that could raise the risk of disease and conflict, said Survival International, which advocates for indigenous rights.
The Mashco Piro are among the world’s largest uncontacted groups, living without regular interaction with outside society to protect their culture and health. Even a simple cold can be deadly to the group because it lacks immunity to common diseases.
Photo: AP
Loggers who encroached on the group’s lands have previously been killed.
Enrique Anez, president of the nearby Yine community, another indigenous group, said in a statement on Tuesday that Mashco Piro members had been seen around the Yine village of Nueva Oceania.
“It is very worrying; they are in danger,” Anez said.
Anez said heavy machinery near Nueva Oceania is cutting paths through the jungle and across rivers into the Mashco Piro territory. The village sits at a key access point to the Mashco Piro’s territory, making it one of the few places where members of the group have occasionally been seen.
Survival International last year released photos showing dozens of Mashco Piro close to active logging zones. The group said that contact with outsiders could spread disease or lead to violent conflict — risks that have previously wiped out other isolated groups in the Amazon.
Last year, two loggers were killed in bow-and-arrow attacks after entering Mashco Piro territory.
“Exactly one year after the encounters and the deaths, nothing has changed in terms of land protection, and the Yine are now reporting to have seen both the Mashco Piro and the loggers exactly in the same space almost at the same time,” Survival International researcher Teresa Mayo said.
The Peruvian Ministry of Culture — tasked with promoting cultural identity and overseeing Indigenous rights — said that it is reviewing Survival International’s report.
Asked about what measures the government is taking to protect groups like the Mashco Piro, it said it has created eight reserves for indigenous peoples in isolation, has five more pending and operates 19 control posts with 59 protection agents.
More than 440 patrols have been carried out this year, it said, adding that its budget for protecting isolated communities more than doubled this year.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding
‘DELIBERATE PROVOCATION’: Pyongyang said that Seoul had used a machine gun to fire at North Korean troops who were working to permanently seal the southern border South Korea fired warning shots at North Korean soldiers that briefly crossed the heavily fortified border earlier this week, Seoul said yesterday after Pyongyang accused it of risking “uncontrollable” tensions. South Korean President Lee Jae-myung has sought warmer ties with the nuclear-armed North and vowed to build “military trust,” but Pyongyang has said it has no interest in improving relations with Seoul. Seoul’s military said several North Korean soldiers crossed the border on Tuesday while working in the heavily mined demilitarized zone (DMZ) separating the two Koreas. The incursion prompted “our military to fire warning shots,” South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff