The president and chairperson of Japanese network Fuji Television have resigned over a widening sex assault scandal linked to one of the nation’s top TV celebrities.
The scandal centers on Masahiro Nakai, a former leader of Japan’s once-hugely popular boy band SMAP, and his costly settlement with a woman over the alleged sex assault at a 2023 dinner party that Fuji TV staff allegedly helped to organize.
The allegations surfaced in magazine articles in December and have since triggered claims of systematic cover-ups by Fuji TV executives. The public outrage over the lack of transparency and explanation at the network’s earlier news conference this month have led to an avalanche of advertising losses at Fuji, one of the networks where Nakai worked.
Photo: EPA-EFE
Fuji Television Network president Koichi Minato and other company officials on Monday said that the case was mishandled and possibly had violated the woman’s human rights. However, they did not provide new details, citing her privacy as well as the third-party investigation, during the more than 10-hour news conference, while they at times faced yelling by frustrated reporters demanding clarifications.
“We are very sorry that we mishandled the case because of our lack of awareness about human rights and corporate governance ... and as a result our responses to the involved woman were inadequate,” Minato said. “We are very sorry to have destroyed our credibility.”
He said it was handled as an “extraordinary” case requiring maximum confidentiality and sensitivity for the woman’s mental health and was shared by a small group of officials. The company had continued allowing Nakai to appear on Fuji shows for a year and six months, he said, but denied covering up the case because it involved a big star.
Minato said he did not think what happened was sexual assault and that the case was not reported to the company’s compliance office until the magazine report came out. The third-party investigation report is due in March.
He denied a Fuji TV employee’s involvement in that case, but said allegations that the employee had previously organized barbecue and other parties for Nakai needed to be investigated. He said he believed the employee’s innocence based on interviews only by him and Nakai and without asking the woman.
Fuji officials also acknowledged that female announcers and other female employees have in the past participated at parties for male stars, talent agency executives and sponsors, though they denied any sexual services.
Minato said he believed top officials were complacent about outdated gender roles and they now need to “update their mindset.”
Shukan Bunshun weekly, one of the magazines that exposed the scandal, also alleged that Fuji TV has long exploited its female announcers to entertain stars like Nakai.
In addition to Minato’s resignation, board chairperson Shuji Kanoh resigned from his position prior to the news conference, officials said.
Nakai on Thursday announced his retirement to take responsibility for the trouble and business losses.
He had earlier denied any violence or involvement of a third party.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told