After 13 years in Hong Kong as a refugee, John received plane tickets that would grant his family new lives in the US — only for them to be snatched away with a stroke of the pen by US President Donald Trump.
Trump’s executive order to suspend all refugee admissions and halt the US asylum program, signed hours after taking office, has left adrift dozens in the territory approved for US resettlement.
John’s scheduled flight to Los Angeles barely missed today’s deadline — had he been allowed to board, the executive order would have taken effect while he was in the air.
Photo: AFP
“It was devastating news for the whole family,” said the 37-year-old, who fled persecution in an East African country and spoke using a pseudonym.
“[We had] just a few days remaining,” he said.
The order — despite being up for review in 90 days — has already caused “pain” and a “huge ripple effect” as asylum seekers in Hong Kong now fear being sent back to square one, advocates for refugee rights said.
John said he had completed years of stringent US vetting, including security and medical checks.
The UN International Organization for Migration (IOM) had “prepared everything” to resettle him, his wife and their children.
“We actually asked [the IOM], ‘Is there any way we can buy the ticket for our own and just travel maybe on Sunday?’ They say, ‘No way possible.’”
Trump’s order temporarily cuts off a legal migration pathway for the estimated 37.9 million refugees fleeing wars, persecution or disasters around the world.
In his order, Trump said the US had been “inundated” and could not absorb migrants in a way that protects Americans’ safety and security. In last year’s fiscal year, more than 100,000 refugees resettled in the US, the most in three decades.
James, who was cleared for US resettlement this month after waiting 14 years in Hong Kong, said it was “not fair” to halt all arrivals.
“[The] first time we heard the news, I wasn’t able to sleep… until now it’s still difficult,” said James, 31, who fled an East African nation and asked to use a pseudonym for safety.
“How many millions of people doesn’t sleep... because of what [Trump] signed?” he said.
John and James belong to the tiny fraction of the 15,800 asylum seekers living in Hong Kong who successfully jumped through all the hoops for resettlement, typically in the US or Canada.
Both men said they were given short notice, forcing them to quit their jobs, end home leases and bid farewell to friends.
Social worker Jeffrey Andrews at the Christian Action Centre for Refugees estimates there were up to 50 people similarly “on the way out.”
Typically up to 70 refugees would leave for the US every year, he said.
“I thought this is the year we’re going to say goodbye to more people,” Andrews said, citing an upward trend last year, “but now it’s turned upside down.”
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘GROSS NEGLIGENCE?’ Despite a spleen typically being significantly smaller than a liver, the surgeon said he believed Bryan’s spleen was ‘double the size of what is normal’ A Florida surgeon who is facing criminal charges after allegedly removing a patient’s liver instead of his spleen has said he is “forever traumatized” by that person’s death. In a deposition from November last year that was recently obtained by NBC, 44-year-old Thomas Shaknovsky described the death of 70-year-old William Bryan as an “incredibly unfortunate event that I regret deeply.” Bryan died after the botched surgery; and last month, a grand jury in Tallahassee indicted Shaknovsky on a charge of manslaughter. “I’m forever traumatized by it and hurt by it,” Shaknovsky added, also saying that wrong-site surgeries can happen “during
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential