Furious at the prospect of a US government ban on social media platform TikTok, US users have flocked to another Chinese-owned app in droves, many with a defiant message: “Take my data.”
TikTok has become another battleground showcasing China-US tensions, with the administration of US President Joe Biden accusing the app of allowing Beijing to collect data and spy on users — claims denied by China and TikTok’s owner ByteDance. The US passed a law last year forcing ByteDance to either sell the platform or shut it down by Sunday.
With that deadline looming, Xiaohongshu (小紅書), also known as Little Red Book — a lifestyle-focused Instagram-meets-Pinterest alternative — surged to the top of the Apple App Store downloads on Monday.
Photo: AP
The hashtag “tiktokrefugee” had more than 100 million views by Tuesday evening.
“They are trying to ban TikTok, because they said China is stealing information. They don’t ban any American company from stealing our information,” said user penguinpepperpia, who has more than 264,000 TikTok followers.
The content creator downloaded Xiaohongshu rather than return to US platforms such as Meta’s Instagram and Facebook, which they characterized as apps for “older people” that also “steal your personal information and sell it to other companies.”
“That is why many Americans don’t care anymore, and we would rather let China have our information,” the user said.
Other “refugees” shared similar sentiments.
New Xiaohongshu user Adham in a video posted on Monday said: “I know our government is a little bit racist, but Chinese people, I love you guys. I don’t care if you take my data. Take it.”
The phenomenon showed how “foolish” the TikTok ban was, said Georgia Tech School of Public Policy professor Milton Mueller who filed a brief in opposition of the ban to the US Supreme Court.
“It is deliciously ironical that the threat of a ban is backfiring so quickly, even before it is put into place,” he said.
“It does seem as if the TikTok ban is pushing users towards other apps that have a much less clear division between the Chinese Communist Party and the app itself,” Duke University’s Robyn Caplan said.
Neither Xiaohongshu nor ByteDance commented on the situation when asked.
What the phenomenon showed was that the Biden administration’s strategy toward Chinese technology of “small yard, high fence” was not effective, the London School of Economics and Political Science’s Meng Bingchun said.
“The yard keeps getting bigger, and the fence is leaky,” Meng said. “Worse still, in this case, those living within the fence can be migratory in the digital space.”
Until Monday, Xiaohongshu was popular primarily among Chinese-speaking users. It boasted 300 million monthly active users at the end of 2023. Xiaohongshu skews heavily toward lifestyle content.
It is seen as facing relatively less censorship than other platforms: Users can be found posting LGBTQ content and discussing the merits of women remaining single, topics often considered sensitive in China.
For “native” Xiaohongshu users on Monday, the influx of US users was a head-scratcher, but also provided an unexpected opportunity for cultural exchange.
Some even asked for help with English homework.
In public group chats on the platform, new users asked for translations of slang terms, as well as keywords to search for content they wanted.
“It’s funny and ironic that the Americans and the Chinese are meeting online under the circumstance that the US government is banning TikTok ... similar to what the Chinese government has been doing for ages to American apps,” Amanda Zhang, 26, said.
The part-time pet content creator, who studies in the US, said she was worried the US government might move to ban Xiaohongshu, too, if it gained enough traction.
It remains unclear what the long-term implications of the shift would be.
Xiaohongshu’s main challenge to retaining these new users is translation, Caplan said.
“My hunch is that what we are witnessing now is more of a short-term reaction than a long-term trend,” Meng said. “The question now is whether there will be a critical mass of these refugees to achieve the desired network effect for the platform, and whether Xiaohongshu will respond quickly enough to harness the new users.”
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding