Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships.
The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years.
Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they have repeatedly warned that they would defend the shoal and outlying waters, which they claim as Beijing’s territory, at all cost.
Photo: Armed Forces of the Philippines via AP
Taiwan, China and the Philippines claim Scarborough and other islands, islets and reefs in the South China Sea. Vietnam, Malaysia and Brunei also have overlapping claims in the busy waterway, a key global trade route.
Two US warships sailed off the shoal this month to promote freedom of navigation and were shadowed by a Chinese navy ship.
Sailing from a western Philippine province, the Royal Australian Navy guided-missile destroyer HMAS Brisbane, the Royal Canadian Navy frigate HMCS Ville de Quebec and the Philippine Navy guided-missile frigate BRP Jose Rizal conducted exercises east of the shoal, including the “air defense exercise that honed the participants’ capability to counter simulated aerial threats through coordinated defensive maneuvers,” the Philippine military said in a brief statement.
Video footage and photographs issued by the Philippine military showed at least three fighter jets soaring in the sky during the drills, while two combat helicopters separately flew near the Philippine Navy frigate.
“This engagement reaffirms the Armed Forces of the Philippines’ commitment to advancing defense cooperation with like-minded nations,” the statement said.
The drills were among the final activities of the largest military exercises Australia has staged with the Philippines that involved more than 3,600 military personnel for 15 days of live-fire and battle maneuvers that ends today.
Canada and several security partners sent military forces as observers.
One of Asia’s most sensitive flash points, the Scarborough Shoal has been closely guarded by China’s forces, which suffered a setback on Aug. 11 when a Chinese navy ship collided with a China Coast Guard vessel while trying to block a Philippine Coast Guard ship near the shoal.
The Chinese coast guard ship’s bow was severely damaged by the high-velocity crash, which Philippine military officials said might have killed at least two Chinese personnel based on video footage.
Satellite imagery from Maxar Technologies showed the ship with a crushed bow flanked by tugs alongside a dry dock at Yulin Naval Base near Sanya on China’s Hainan Island — the first confirmation that the vessel made it back to port.
Maxar and other analysts said they were confident it was the same vessel, CG3104, involved in the collision.
Chinese officials have never commented on the collision, and the Chinese Ministry of National Defense did not immediately respond to questions about the fate of the ship, whether there were any casualties or whether it got to Hainan under its own power.
Additional reporting by Reuters
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying