One of hundreds of Argentinian children taken from their parents and given up for adoption during the 1976 to 1983 dictatorship had been found after a long search, activists said on Friday.
For decades, members of the Grandmothers of Plaza de Mayo rights group have been trying to find their daughters — and the now-adult babies they bore in captivity.
On Friday, the group announced the discovery of “grandchild No. 138,” the son of political activists Marta Enriqueta Pourtale and Juan Carlos Villamayor, who went missing in 1976.
Photo: Reuters
“This is the 138th case resolved in these 47 years of relentless search for truth and identity,” organization president Estela de Carlotto told a news conference held in a former torture center.
“On Dec. 10, 1976, the couple was abducted from their home in Buenos Aires in an operation carried out by plainclothes personnel. She was eight-and-a-half months pregnant,” Carlotto added.
Pourtale and Villamayor were members of the Montoneros left-wing guerrilla group.
They were later seen in ESMA, a notorious center where more than 5,000 political prisoners were taken, with many tortured and murdered, humanitarian organizations have said.
Few survived.
“This is where the birth of the 138th grandchild may have taken place,” Carlotto said in ESMA, a former navy mechanical school that is now a museum and place of remembrance.
“So far, more than 30 births have been recorded in this clandestine center,” she added.
The Argentinian National Commission for the Right to Identity had been working since 1999 to find the whereabouts of Pourtale and Villamayor’s son, whose identity was confirmed by a DNA test.
The man, who was not named, has a brother called Diego Antonio, Pourtale’s son with a previous partner, Carlotto said.
“I’m overwhelmed with emotion,” Antonio said in an audio message sent from Spain, where he lives.
“Thank you very much, Grandmothers. You are a national pride, a pride for all Argentines,” he said.
The “grandmothers” take their name from the Plaza de Mayo square in Buenos Aires where women held protests to demand information on the whereabouts of their loved ones.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding