Ten Vietnamese fishers were violently robbed in the South China Sea, state media reported yesterday, with an official saying the attackers came from Chinese-flagged vessels.
The men were reportedly beaten with iron bars and robbed of thousands of dollars of fish and equipment on Sunday off the Paracel Islands (Xisha Islands, 西沙群島), which Taiwan claims, as do Vietnam, China, Brunei, Malaysia and the Philippines.
Vietnamese media did not identify the nationalities of the attackers, but Phung Ba Vuong, an official in central Quang Ngai province, told reporters: “They were Chinese, [the boats had] Chinese flags.”
Photo: AFP
Four of the 10-man Vietnamese crew were rushed to hospital on Monday after arriving at Quang Ngai port, state-run Tien Phong reported.
The men were attacked by about 40 people for three hours, the newspaper said.
“Wearing checkered clothes, they cruelly beat us with iron bars,” captain Nguyen Thanh Bien was quoted as saying, adding that he fell unconscious for about an hour after the attack.
Footage on Tien Phong’s Web site showed the fishers being taken from their boat on stretchers.
One had a broken leg and two had broken arms, the report said.
Nguyen Thanh Bien told authorities that about US$20,000 of equipment and fish had been stolen in the attack.
Phung Ba Vuong — who chairs the people’s committee of Binh Chau, the commune where the fishers live — said on Facebook that he “strongly opposed the barbarous acts by China.”
Neither the Vietnamese Ministry of Foreign Affairs nor the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs immediately replied to a request for comment.
In a separate incident on Sunday, Tien Phong reported that another Vietnamese fishing boat in the Paracel Islands was robbed of up to US$12,200 of equipment and fish.
The incident comes several weeks after Chinese People’s Liberation Army Lieutenant General He Lei (何雷) said that China “will resolutely crush any foreign hostile encroachment on China’s territorial, sovereign and maritime rights and interests.”
He made the statement on the sidelines of a defense forum in Beijing following a series of high-profile confrontations with Philippine ships in the waters.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding