An Ecuadorian court on Friday sentenced a gang member to nearly 35 years in prison for plotting and ordering from his cell the murder of a journalist turned anti-corruption presidential candidate.
Five people were handed hefty prison sentences for their role in the assassination of Fernando Villavicencio, who was shot dead last year just before the country’s election.
Gang member Carlos Angulo, 31, was given 34 years and eight months in prison for planning and ordering the murder, the sentence read out in court said.
Photo: Reuters
Laura Castillo, received the same for providing weapons, money, vehicles and motorcycles to the Colombian assassins who fatally shot Villavicencio on Aug. 9 last year as he was leaving a rally in Quito.
Villavicencio, a former investigative journalist who vowed to combat political corruption and drug trafficking, was killed days before the first round of voting in the presidential election.
Six Colombian men were arrested hours after the shooting, but all of them were killed while in prison two months later. Seven additional suspects were later arrested, one of whom died and another who was acquitted. The remaining five went on trial.
Accomplices Erick Ramirez, Victor Flores and Alexandra Chimbo were sentenced to 12 years in prison.
Flores handled security for the motorcycle on which the assassin who shot Villavicencio was traveling, while Chimbo was in charge of alerting the killers about the candidate’s departure. Ramirez did logistics work.
Some of the suspects were accused of ties to “Los Lobos,” one of the main gangs in Ecuador fighting for control of the drug trade that has led to a spike in violence in the past few years within the small South American country.
A witness who testified during the trial claimed there was a US$200,000 bounty on Villavicencio’s head due to his campaign against gangs and corruption.
The witness also said the suspects were working for individuals tied to the administration of former Ecuadoran president Rafael Correa, who is in exile after he was convicted on corruption charges in 2020.
Correa, who lives in Belgium, denies any link to the assassination.
“We need to know the whole truth and make sure this is not repeated again,” Amanda Villavicencio, daughter of the assassinated candidate, wrote on X.
Outside the court, relatives and supporters chanting slogans held up posters written “jail for cowardly murderers” and pictures of Fernando Villavicencio.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding