Denmark’s popular Queen Margrethe II, Europe’s longest-serving monarch, on Sunday said that she would abdicate on Jan. 14 and pass the baton to her son, Crown Prince Frederik.
Margrethe, 83, has reigned for 52 years and has been Europe’s only reigning queen after the death of Britain’s Elizabeth II.
She has been hailed for subtly modernizing Danish royalty in her half-century on the throne.
Photo: AFP
She made the surprise announcement during her traditional New Year’s Eve speech broadcast on Danish television, citing her age and health issues.
“In two weeks time I have been Queen of Denmark for 52 years,” she said.
That length of time would take its toll on anyone, she added.
“One cannot undertake as much as one managed in the past... On 14th January, 2024 — 52 years after I succeeded my beloved father — I will step down as Queen of Denmark. I will hand over the throne to my son Crown Prince Frederik,” she said.
The chain-smoking queen has repeatedly said she would never abdicate, but back surgery she underwent in February last year “gave cause to thoughts about the future — whether now would be an appropriate time to pass on the responsibility to the next generation.”
The queen, known for her artistic talents, has been hugely popular in Denmark.
“She has managed to be a queen who has united the Danish nation in a time of large changes: globalization, the appearance of the multicultural state, economic crises in the 1970s, 1980s and again in 2008 to 2015, and the [COVID-19] pandemic,” historian Lars Hovebakke Sorensen said.
“The basis of her popularity is that the queen is absolutely non-political,” he said.
With sparkling blue eyes and a broad smile, she is known for her relaxed and playful side, as well as for her involvement in Denmark’s cultural scene.
A painter as well as a costume and set designer, she has worked with the Royal Danish Ballet and Royal Danish Theatre on numerous occasions.
She studied at the University of Cambridge and the Sorbonne in Paris, and is fluent in English, French, German and Swedish.
She has also translated plays, including Simone de Beauvoir’s All Men Are Mortal with her French-born husband under a pseudonym.
However, it is primarily her paintings and drawings that have caught the public’s eye.
She has illustrated several books, including a Danish 2002 edition of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, and her paintings have been exhibited in museums and galleries in Denmark and abroad.
Crown Prince Frederik, 55, is the embodiment of the nation’s relaxed, liberal monarchy.
Passionate about the environment, he has discreetly imposed himself in the shadow of his mother, championing Denmark and its drive to find solutions to the climate crisis.
“When the time comes, I will guide the ship,” he said in a speech celebrating his mother’s 50 years on the throne.
“I will follow you, as you followed your father” in leading a 1,000-year-old institution, Frederik added.
He met his wife, Mary Donaldson, an Australian lawyer, at a Sydney bar during the 2000 Olympic Games.
They have tried to give their four children as normal an upbringing as possible, sending them mainly to state schools.
Their eldest, Prince Christian, who recently turned 18, was the first Danish royal to go to daycare.
Frederik and Mary are “modern, woke, lovers of pop music, modern art and sports,” said historian Sebastian Olden-Jorgensen, adding that they would represent a careful transition to the times.
Frederik has said that he sees himself complementing his mother, a polymath who is an accomplished writer and artist.
“You paint, I exercise. You dig for buried objects from the past, I buried my head in order not to be recognized during my time in the armed forces. You are a master of words. I am sometimes at a loss for them,” he said during the queen’s jubilee celebrations.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told