Hundreds of thousands of people are being coerced in Southeast Asia by criminal gangs into carrying out online scams, often under the threat of torture, the UN said yesterday.
Many have been trafficked into working in online criminality and face serious threats such as torture or sexual violence, the UN said in a report.
“People who are coerced into working in these scamming operations endure inhumane treatment while being forced to carry out crimes,” UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk said. “They are victims. They are not criminals.”
Photo: AFP
The scale of the scourge in Southeast Asia is difficult to gauge, because of the practice’s clandestine nature and gaps in the response by authorities, the report said.
However, it said credible sources said that at least 120,000 people across Myanmar could be held in situations where they are forced to carry out online scams.
Estimates in Cambodia are at about 100,000, it said.
Laos, the Philippines and Thailand are among other nations in the region identified as the main countries of destination or transit.
The scam centers generate revenue amounting to billions of dollars a year, the UN said.
Victims come from across the ASEAN region, Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, South Asia and further afield from Africa and Latin America.
Most people trafficked into the online scam operations are men, although women and teens are also victims, the report said.
The illicit networks benefited from the COVID-19 pandemic, which in some countries saw casinos closed under public health measures.
This led to casino operators moving to less regulated spaces, including conflict-affected border areas, and online, the report said.
The COVID-19 crisis also left many migrants more vulnerable, stranded in countries and out of work due to border and business closures.
Lockdowns also saw people spending more time online and susceptible to becoming targets of online fraud, the report said.
Showcasing phallus-shaped portable shrines and pink penis candies, Japan’s annual fertility festival yesterday teemed with tourists, couples and families elated by its open display of sex. The spring Kanamara Matsuri near Tokyo features colorfully dressed worshipers carrying a trio of giant phallic-shaped objects as they parade through the street with glee. The festival, as legend has it, honors a local blacksmith in the Edo Period (1603-1868) who forged an iron dildo to break the teeth of a sharp-toothed demon inhabiting a woman’s vagina that had been castrating young men on their wedding nights. A 1m black steel phallus sits in the courtyard of
JAN. 1 CLAUSE: As military service is voluntary, applications for permission to stay abroad for over three months for men up to age 45 must, in principle, be granted A little-noticed clause in sweeping changes to Germany’s military service policy has triggered an uproar after it emerged that the law requires men aged up to 45 to get permission from the armed forces before any significant stay abroad, even in peacetime. The legislation, which went into effect on Jan. 1 aims to bolster the military and demands all 18-year-old men fill out a questionnaire to gauge their suitability to serve in the armed forces, but stops short of conscription. If the “modernized” model fails to pull in enough recruits, parliament will be compelled to discuss the reintroduction of compulsory service, German
Filipino farmers like Romeo Wagayan have been left with little choice but to let their vegetables rot in the field rather than sell them at a loss, as rising oil prices linked to the Iran war drive up the cost of harvesting, labor and transport. “There’s nothing we can do,” said Wagayan, a 57-year old vegetable farmer in the northern Philippine province of Benguet. “If we harvest it, our losses only increase because of labor, transportation and packing costs. We don’t earn anything from it. That’s why we decided not to harvest at all,” he said. Soaring costs caused by the Middle East
For two decades, researchers observed members of the Ngogo chimpanzee group of Kibale National Park in Uganda spend their days eating fruits and leaves, resting, traveling and grooming in their tropical rainforest abode, but this stable community then fractured and descended into years of deadly violence. The researchers are now describing the first clearly documented example of a group of wild chimpanzees splitting into two separate factions, with one launching a series of coordinated attacks against the other. Adult males and infants were targeted, with 28 deaths. “Biting, pounding the victim with their hands, dragging them, kicking them — mostly adult males,