Pakistan was yesterday set to ask for billions in international support for its recovery from the aftermath of last year’s devastating floods and to help it better resist climate change.
To meet its huge needs, Pakistan and the UN were cohosting an international conference in Geneva, Switzerland, to urge countries, organizations and businesses to step up with financial and other support for a long-term recovery and resilience plan.
Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres were to launch the one-day event, which was also to feature speeches by heads of state and government.
Photo: AP
French President Emmanuel Macron, his Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen were also to address the conference via video link.
According to Pakistan’s Resilient Recovery, Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Framework, which it was planning to officially present at Monday’s conference, US$16.3 billion would be needed in all.
Pakistan’s government aims to cover half that amount with “domestic resources,” including its development budget and through public-private partnerships, but it is looking to the international community to cover the remainder, with the hope that yesterday’s conference would generate significant pledges of support.
About 450 participants from about 40 countries have registered for the event, including representatives of the World Bank and several multilateral development banks.
“The waters may have receded, but the impacts are still there,” UN Development Programme Administrator Achim Steiner said ahead of the conference, describing the floods as “a cataclysmic event.”
“There is a massive reconstruction and rehabilitation effort that needs to be undertaken,” he said.
The flooding, which killed more than 1,700 people and affected about 33 million others, still has not receded in some southern parts of the country.
Millions of people remain displaced, and those who have been able to go home are often returning to damaged or destroyed homes and mud-covered fields that cannot be planted.
Food prices have soared, and the number of people facing food insecurity has doubled to 14.6 million, UN figures showed.
The World Bank has estimated that up to 9 million more people could be dragged into poverty as a result of the flooding.
Pakistan and the UN have said that the event would be broader than a traditional pledging conference, as it aims to set up a long-term international partnership focused on recovery, but also on boosting Pakistan’s climate resilience.
Pakistan, with the world’s fifth-largest population, is responsible for less than 1 percent of global greenhouse gas emissions, but is one of the most vulnerable nations to extreme weather caused by global warming.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying