Hong Kong intends to start reopening its borders with mainland China before mid-January, aiming to return to pre-2020 cross-border travel arrangements, Hong Kong Chief Executive John Lee (李家超) said.
The borders are to “open fully in a gradual, orderly way,” Lee said during news conference at the city’s airport on Saturday on returning from a trip to Beijing, where he met Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平).
Lee’s team plans to hold talks with the governments of Shenzhen and Guangdong Province to formulate a plan to reopen the borders, and form a task force to focus on the issue. The group would report back to the central government, Lee said.
Photo: Bloomberg
Matters under consideration in the first stage of the plan include deciding the daily quota of travelers, and which border control points should be opened, he said.
The border between Hong Kong and mainland China has been effectively shut for nearly three years. Visitors from Hong Kong are limited by a daily quota, while they also must undergo five days of hotel quarantine. Mainland visitors also must quarantine on their return.
Lee did not share details about the quarantine policy after borders open, only saying he hopes to return to the arrangements before the pandemic.
Most of Hong Kong’s border checkpoints have been closed since early 2020.
Lee’s trip to Beijing was his official visit since taking office in July. Chinese Premier Li Keqiang (李克強) told Lee that Hong Kong needs to further integrate with the mainland’s development plans and consolidate its role as an international hub.
Meanwhile, Hong Kong could see an estimated 7.6 percent boost to its gross domestic product from China’s reopening, according to Goldman Sachs Group Inc economists.
The local economy is projected to have contracted this year for the third time in four years. The city hosted almost 44 million arrivals from mainland China in 2019.
Hong Kong scrapped most of its remaining COVID-19 restrictions in recent weeks, including a ban on new arrivals entering bars or restaurants, and ending a policy requiring people to scan a QR code when entering venues. People must still wear masks in public.
China is rapidly moving to resume normal economic activity as it dismantles its pandemic restrictions. Beijing plans to cut quarantine requirements for overseas travelers in January, Bloomberg News reported on Thursday.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding