Tensions mounted on Wednesday between France and Italy over the fate of a non-governmental organization (NGO) ship carrying 234 migrants rescued in the Mediterranean, with Paris calling the refusal by Italian authorities to let the vessel dock “unacceptable.”
It was the latest European standoff over where to disembark migrants picked up after trying to reach Europe from North Africa, with Italy increasingly frustrated at taking in the bulk of those rescued.
The row centers on the Ocean Viking, a charity ship that has sailed away from Sicilian waters toward France after unsuccessfully waiting for permission to dock in Italy since late last month.
Run by the European charity SOS Mediterranee under a Norwegian flag, the ship has appealed to France to accept it as it headed toward Corsica and potentially the French mainland, where it has also asked for access.
“It’s a total blockage on the part of the Italians,” SOS Med director Sophie Beau said, adding that it had lodged 43 official requests with no response.
As of Wednesday morning, it “still had no official response” from French authorities, Beau said.
Italian leaders have claimed that France is ready to accept the migrants, but Paris has warned that the ship was in Italian waters and branded the refusal to let her dock “unacceptable.”
In Brussels, the European Commission urged the “immediate disembarkation, at the nearest place of safety, of all persons rescued and who are on board the Ocean Viking.”
It did not single out Italy or France by name, but noted the “clear and unequivocal” legal obligation to rescue distressed persons at sea.
“The situation onboard the vessel has reached a critical level and needs to be urgently addressed to avoid a humanitarian tragedy,” it said.
The standoff echoes disputes four years ago between Italy and other EU countries, when French President Emmanuel Macron in particular clashed with then-Italian minister of the interior Matteo Salvini.
The arrival of Giorgia Meloni at the head of Italy’s most right-wing government in decades could again lead to strained ties that complicate decisionmaking on a range of subjects at the EU level.
“We’re seeing diplomatic arm-wrestling between France and Italy that could open a breach for similar conflicts, because Italy is clearly challenging a European accord [on migrants] that was in its favor,” said Matthieu Tardis of the French Institute for International Relations (IFRI).
Meloni on Wednesday defended the decision to allow only the most vulnerable migrants to disembark from three other NGO rescue ships in recent days, saying they are “not shipwrecked, but migrants,” media reports of comments in a closed-door meeting said.
Italian health authorities later ordered the remaining migrants to be let off as well, a choice “we found bizarre,” Meloni said, according to Italian news agency ANSA.
With regards to the Ocean Viking, Italian Minister of Foreign Affairs Antonio Tajani claimed in an interview that France had offered Marseille as a port of safety.
However, Paris has not confirmed this and on Wednesday, government spokesman Olivier Veran said “the current attitude of the Italian government” was “unacceptable.”
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk urged a rapid disembarkment and warned that “politics should not be pursued at the expense of people in distress.”
“The migrants need our unconditional support — humanity demands it,” he said in a statement.
Under international law, ships in distress or carrying rescued passengers must be allowed entry in the nearest port of call — which means Italy and often Malta are shouldering the burden of taking in those rescued after trying to cross the Mediterranean from Libya.
In June, about a dozen EU countries, including France, agreed to take in migrants who arrive in Italy and other main entry points.
For Tajani, Rome’s reluctance to offer its ports is a signal to EU nations that they must play an even bigger part.
Rome wants “an agreement to establish, on the basis of population, how migrants with a right to asylum are relocated to various countries,” Tajani said ahead of a meeting of EU ministers next week.
Over a few hours under gray skies, dozens of combat planes and helicopters roar on and off the flight deck of the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier, in a demonstration of US military power in some of the world’s most hotly contested waters. MH-60 Seahawk helicopters and F/A-18 Hornet jets bearing pilot call signs such as “Fozzie Bear,” “Pig Sweat” and “Bongoo” emit deafening screams as they land in the drizzle on the Nimitz, which is leading a carrier strike group that entered the South China Sea two weeks ago. US Rear Admiral Christopher Sweeney, who is commanding the group, said the tour
RISING RISK: With no communication between nations flying jets closely over the South China Sea, one mistake by a pilot could quickly escalate a situation, an expert said The China Coast Guard (CCG) maintained near-daily patrols at key features across the disputed South China Sea last year, ramping up its presence as tensions over the waterway with Southeast Asian neighbors remain high, new tracking data shows. Patrols in the waters surrounding the Vanguard Bank off Vietnam, an area known for its oil and gas reserves and the site of repeated standoffs between Chinese and Vietnamese vessels, more than doubled to 310 days last year, the Washington-based Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative said. The number of days Chinese ships patrolled near Second Thomas Shoal (Renai Shoal, 仁愛暗) in the Spratly Islands (Nansha
A court in Thailand sentenced a 27-year-old political activist to 28 years in prison on Thursday for posting messages on Facebook that it said defamed the country’s monarchy, while two young women charged with the same offense continued a hunger strike after being hospitalized. The court in the northern province of Chiang Rai found that Mongkhon Thirakot contravened the lese majeste law in 14 of 27 posts for which he was arrested in August last year. The law covers the king, queen and heirs, and any regent. The lese majeste law carries a prison term of three to 15 years per incident for
‘DISTURBING’: Nearly half of 16 to 21-year-olds assumed that girls either ‘expect’ or ‘enjoy’ sex which involves physical aggression, such as airway restriction One in 10 children have watched pornography by the time they are nine years old, according to “disturbing” new research by the children’s commissioner for England. The report found that one-quarter of pupils in their final year of primary school had already been exposed. It also showed much of the material being consumed by children and young people featured violence. Four out of five (79 percent) of those surveyed had seen pornography involving violence by the age of 18, while one in three young people have actively sought out depictions of sexual violence such as physical aggression, coercion and degradation. The report, by