Russian President Vladimir Putin’s chief envoy to Ukraine told the leader as the war began that he had struck a provisional deal with Kyiv that would satisfy Russia’s demand that Ukraine stay out of NATO, but Putin rejected it and pressed ahead with his military campaign, three people close to the Russian leadership said.
The Ukrainian-born envoy, Deputy Kremlin Chief of Staff Dmitry Kozak, told Putin that he believed the deal he had hammered out removed the need for Russia to pursue a large-scale occupation, the sources said.
Putin had repeatedly asserted prior to the war that NATO and its military infrastructure were creeping closer to Russia’s borders by accepting new members from eastern Europe, and that the alliance was preparing to bring Ukraine into its orbit. Putin publicly said that represented an existential threat to Russia, forcing him to react.
Photo: Reuters
Despite earlier backing the negotiations, Putin made it clear when presented with Kozak’s deal that the concessions negotiated by his aide did not go far enough and that he had expanded his objectives to include annexing swathes of Ukrainian territory, the sources said.
Asked about the findings, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said “that has absolutely no relation to reality. No such thing ever happened. It is absolutely incorrect information.”
Kozak did not respond to requests for comment sent through the Kremlin.
Ukrainian presidential adviser Mykhailo Podolyak said Russia had used the negotiations as a smoke screen to prepare for its invasion, but he did not respond to questions about the substance of the talks nor confirm that a preliminary deal was reached.
“Today, we clearly understand that the Russian side has never been interested in a peaceful settlement,” Podolyak said.
Two of the three sources said a push to finalize the deal occurred immediately after Russia’s Feb. 24 invasion. Within days, Kozak believed he had Ukraine’s agreement to the main terms Russia had been seeking and recommended to Putin that he sign an agreement, the sources said.
“After Feb. 24, Kozak was given carte blanche. They gave him the green light. He got the deal. He brought it back and they told him to clear off. Everything was canceled. Putin simply changed the plan as he went along,” one of the sources said.
The third source — who was told about the events by people who were briefed on the discussions between Kozak and Putin — differed on the timing, saying that Kozak had proposed the deal to Putin, but it was rejected just before the invasion.
The sources all requested anonymity to share sensitive internal information.
Moscow’s offensive in Ukraine is the largest military campaign in Europe since World War II. It prompted sweeping economic sanctions against Russia, and military support for Ukraine from Washington and its Western allies.
Even if Putin had acquiesced to Kozak’s plan, it remains uncertain if the war would have ended. Reuters was unable to verify independently that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy or senior officials in his government were committed to the deal.
Kozak, who is 63, has been a loyal lieutenant to Putin since working with him in the 1990s in the St Petersburg mayor’s office.
Kozak was well-placed to negotiate a peace deal because since 2020 Putin had tasked him with conducting talks with Ukrainian counterparts about the Donbas region of eastern Ukraine, which has been controlled by Russian-backed separatists following an uprising in 2014.
After leading the Russian delegation in talks with Ukrainian officials in Berlin on Feb. 10 — brokered by France and Germany — Kozak told a late-night news conference that the latest round of those negotiations had ended without a breakthrough.
Kozak also was one of those present when, three days before the invasion, Putin gathered his military and security chiefs and key aides in the Kremlin’s Yekaterinsky hall for a meeting of the Russian Security Council.
State television cameras recorded part of the meeting, where Putin laid out plans to give formal recognition to separatist entities in eastern Ukraine.
Once the cameras were ushered out of the vast room with its neoclassical columns and domed ceiling, Kozak spoke out against Russia taking any steps to escalate the situation with Ukraine, said two of the three sources, as well as a third person who learned about what happened from people who took part in the meeting.
Another person, who helped in the post-invasion talks, said discussions fell apart in early March when Ukrainian officials understood Putin was committed to pressing ahead with the large-scale invasion.
Six months on from the start of the war, Kozak remains Kremlin deputy chief of staff, but is no longer handling the Ukraine dossier, six sources said.
“From what I can see, Kozak is nowhere to be seen,” said one of the six, who is close to the separatist leadership in eastern Ukraine.
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
The researchers in Ireland looked at their computer screen, marveling at a medieval book tracked down in a Roman library. They flipped through its digitized pages and found their sought-after treasure: the oldest surviving English poem. “We were extremely surprised. We were speechless. We couldn’t believe our eyes when we first saw that,” said Elisabetta Magnanti, a visiting research fellow at Trinity College Dublin’s school of English. The poem was also within the main body of Latin text, she said, calling it “extraordinary.” Composed in Old English by a Northumbrian agricultural worker in the 7th century, Caedmon’s Hymn appears within some copies of