South Korea and Japan resumed suspended high-level talks in Seoul yesterday about the sensitive issue of wartime sex slaves, despite a virtual freeze in diplomatic ties.
South Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs Director-General Lee Sang-deok met his Japanese counterpart, Junichi Ihara, for the third time since the two countries started holding monthly talks on the issue in April.
They should have met last month, but Seoul suspended the process in protest at Tokyo’s decision to review its landmark 1993 apology for the forcible recruitment of so-called “comfort women” to service military brothels during World War II.
The review upheld the apology, but angered Seoul by asserting there was no evidence to corroborate the testimony of Korean comfort women.
South Korea also rejected the review’s finding that its government had been involved in drafting the apology.
About 200,000 women, mainly from Korea, but also from China and other Asian countries, were forced to work in Japanese military brothels.
While mainstream Japanese opinion holds that the wartime government was culpable, some right-wing politicians including Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe continue to cast doubt, claiming the brothels were staffed by professional prostitutes.
The equivocation is a huge irritation in Tokyo’s relations with East Asia and with South Korea in particular.
Relations between Tokyo and Seoul are at their lowest ebb in years, mired in emotive disputes linked to Japan’s harsh 1910-1945 colonial rule over the Korean Peninsula.
The rift is a source of growing anxiety for Washington, whose strategic “pivot” to Asia is on a more fragile footing with its two main military allies in the region barely on speaking terms.
Tokyo’s top official traveled to Seoul yesterday on a three-day mission supported by Abe to help attempts to repair bruised relations.
Tokyo Governor Yoichi Masuzoe, who in April made a three-day trip to Beijing to thaw frosty ties, was due to meet Seoul Mayor Park Won-soon and other senior government officials.
Since sweeping to power in December 2012, Abe has repeatedly called for talks with his counterparts in South Korea and China, but has so far been rebuffed.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver