Syria has banned most imports except raw materials and grains, local businessmen said on Saturday, in a move to preserve foreign currency reserves as pressure grows from a popular rebellion and Western sanctions against Syria’s rulers.
The government decreed on Thursday that all imports carrying a tariff over 5 percent were banned, according to businessmen and traders in Damascus who were contacted by journalists.
This means imports of most foreign goods, from electrical goods to cars and luxury items.
The ban suggests that Syria is feeling the effect of foreign sanctions intended to put pressure on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to end a six-month military crackdown that has killed 2,700 people, according to UN estimates.
On Saturday, the EU imposed sanctions on Syria’s main mobile phone operator Syriatel and its largest private company, Cham Holding.
The sanctions also targeted a television station, Addounia TV, and three construction and investment firms linked to the Syrian military, according to the EU’s Official Journal.
The moves complement an embargo on imports of Syrian crude oil to the bloc — Syria’s main market — and a ban on EU firms investing in Syria’s oil industry, agreed to last week with the aim of reducing Assad’s access to foreign currency.
Washington has gone further, freezing all Syrian assets in the US and barring US citizens from making new investments in Syria.
Analysts and traders say Syria’s oil exports have almost ground to a halt. In addition, it appears likely to run short of petroleum products for heating, electricity production and transport.
Syrian Minister of Economy and Trade Mohammed Nidal al-Shaar was quoted in the local press on Saturday as saying that the import ban was “preventive and temporary.”
He said the ban was aimed at “preserving foreign reserves and redirecting [them] to low-income sectors of the population.”
“It won’t affect the imports of raw materials or foodstuffs and all the essential goods that citizens need in their daily life,” Shaar added.
Grain bought by the state for local consumption is among items unaffected by the ban.
In the five years prior to the uprising, Syria had relaxed its previous Soviet-style ban on imports.
Despite high import tariffs, there has been huge demand for foreign consumer goods, especially cars, which began to enter the country for the first time in decades.
Like other foreign media, Reuters is banned from Syria, but traders contacted from abroad said the import ban would stoke inflation and further erode falling business confidence.
Some businessmen said it was a sign that the unrest was beginning to exact a heavier toll than was being acknowledged by authorities, who say Syria’s economy has been protected by its lack of debt and insulation from capital markets.
“There is no selling or buying. It’s so bad now that traders and businessmen are not selling for cash or credit. Prices of existing foreign imports will now soar,” said a car dealer in Damascus’ Sabaa Bahrat commercial area, who preferred not to give his name.
Along with hurting industrial output, the unrest has dealt a big blow to a tourism industry that used to account for 12 percent of foreign revenue, economists and businesspeople said.
Some businesspeople that, even before the ban, merchants had already reduced letters of credit for imports as demand fell. They said traders and even government agencies were hoarding foreign currency as worries rose that new measures to cushion the economy from sanctions could hit the Syrian pound.
“This move will only worsen the situation and add to the uncertainty,” said another businessman in the Halabouni district in the capital.
“[Investors and traders] ... are holding tight and not buying any goods ... but [also] not panicking so far,” he said.
Economists and bankers say Syria’s foreign reserves have been falling as the central bank sells hard currency to try to stop the Syrian pound falling on the black market.
The official rate is 47.4 Syrian pounds to the US dollar, but on the black market a US dollar costs 51 pounds or more.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver