“Every morning I wake up and go looking for dead people,” says Michael White, a computer programmer from Stone Mountain, Georgia, who publishes the Web site iCasualties.org, which tracks deaths and injuries among coalition forces in Iraq and Afghanistan.
It is grim work of trolling through news sites and official releases about each episode, assessing the reliability of those accounts and then entering the details about the wounded and killed into a database.
White, 54, has done so since the 2003 invasion of Iraq — “when everything was flowers and chocolate,” he said. Yet he had a hunch that events might not continue so smoothly.
He has kept at it, even as the public and news organizations have moved on to other topics, particularly the economy.
Traffic on the site has dropped by at least half since the days of the surge, when the conduct of the war in Iraq was an issue in the 2008 presidential election. Now the site gets about 25,000 to 35,000 unique visitors a day, White says.
Also, donations have dried up — less than US$1,000, far short of the costs and down from US$8,000 to US$10,000 in a typical year. And no more people volunteer to enter the data and free White to improve the design of the site.
In part, White says he keeps updating the information on the site because it is a calling, an obligation he wants to see through until the war ends. Ultimately, he would like to create a more permanent record of what he has compiled, maybe even publish a book.
There is another reason: People are counting on him — reporters, that is. Without exactly trying, iCasualties has become a cog in the reporting from Iraq and Afghanistan. Local newspapers like the Poughkeepsie Journal of New York, wire services like Agence France-Presse and international organizations like the BBC routinely use iCasualties data to provide context (the number of New Yorkers who have been wounded in Iraq, 1,503; the total number of British troops killed in Afghanistan, 345).
White says he wanted to offer the public a way to assess independently the progress of the war: “I think there is a need for some place you can go and say these are the figures. People have to agree on numbers. Right now, people don’t agree on numbers, whether we are talking about the economy, jobs, the deficit or global warming.”
White points to 2006 as the year when journalists felt confident enough to use iCasualties’ data as their own.
“I had three years of doing it,” he said. “I was not just somebody out there doing a blog, but I took the time to build a database, to build, I don’t know what the word is, my own journalistic standards before putting it out there.”
His acceptance by journalists has left him “surprised and not surprised,” he said, noting that years ago, when he was driving and heard his site credited on National Public Radio, it was “a bit of an ego boost.”
While White says he gets fewer calls for detailed data analysis — deaths, say, by improvised explosive device in a certain province of Iraq — the site’s figures are being used more routinely.
These days, White finds himself more frequently in the role of media critic. He says he is continually amazed at how little attention the war in Afghanistan has generated.
“We had 50 US deaths in Afghanistan last month, and we are on course for 50 deaths this month, but it is not talked about,” White said. “It is not on the nightly news.”
He refers to his tables to finds months when a similar total of US troops were killed in Iraq, and it was big news.
“If it was in Iraq, it would be on the news,” he said.
ACTIONABLE ADVICE: The majority of chatbots tested provided guidance on weapons, tactics and target selections, with Perplexity and Meta AI deemed to be the least safe From school shootings to synagogue bombings, leading artificial intelligence (AI) chatbots helped researchers plot violent attacks, according to a study published on Wednesday that highlighted the technology’s potential for real-world harm. Researchers from the nonprofit watchdog Center for Countering Digital Hate and CNN posed as 13-year-old boys in the US and Ireland to test 10 chatbots, including ChatGPT, Google Gemini, Perplexity, Deepseek and Meta AI. Eight of the chatbots assisted the make-believe attackers in more than half the responses, providing advice on “locations to target” and “weapons to use” in an attack, the study said. The chatbots had become a “powerful accelerant for
Australians were downloading virtual private networks (VPNs) in droves, while one of the world’s largest porn distributors said it was blocking users from its platforms as the country yesterday rolled out sweeping online age restriction. Australia in December became the first country to impose a nationwide ban on teenagers using social media. A separate law now requires artificial intelligence (AI)-powered chatbot services to keep certain content — including pornography, extreme violence and self-harm and eating disorder material — from minors or face fines of up to A$49.5 million (US$34.6 million). The country also joined Britain, France and dozens of US states requiring
Since the war in the Middle East began nearly two weeks ago, the telephone at Ron Hubbard’s bomb shelter company in Texas has not stopped ringing. Foreign and US clients are rushing to buy his bunkers, seeking refuge in case of air raids, nuclear fallout or apocalypse. With the US and Israel pounding Iran, and Tehran retaliating with strikes across the region, Hubbard has seen demand for his product soar, mostly from Gulf nation customers in Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates. “You can imagine how many people are thinking: ‘I wish I had a bomb shelter,’” Hubbard, 63, said in
STILL IN POWER: US intelligence reports showed that the Iranian regime is not in danger of collapse and retains control of the public, casting doubt on Trump’s exit Nearly every US Senate Democrat on Wednesday signed a letter sent to US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth requesting a “swift investigation” of airstrikes on a girls’ school in Iran that killed scores of children and any other potential US military actions causing civilian harm. Reuters reported on Thursday last week that US military investigators believe it is likely that US forces were responsible for the Feb. 28 strike on the school, as US and Israeli forces launched attacks on Iran. “The results of this school attack are horrific. The majority of those killed in the strikes were girls between the ages